Any Twitter users on here?

Vista

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all of you who follow us on Twitter and apologies for the recent ramblings and re tweets about HMS Plymouth.

To give you a little background, HMS Plymouth is a retired Rothesay Class frigate. She was built in 1959 and decommissioned in 1988 so is already much older than most of the classic fords we own. She was saved for the nation and over the years has been open to visitors in Plymouth, Glasgow and then Liverpool. She is a historically significant vessel for a number of reasons:

She was the last warship built by Devonport Dockyard in Plymouth

The surrender of South Georgia by the occupying Argentine forces was signed in her Wardroom.

She is the only surviving ship in the UK that was involved in the Falklands conflict.

By all accounts she was popular as a visitor attraction but had to close her doors in 2006 when the trust managing her and a number of other vessels went into liquidation. Ownership was assumed by Peel Ports (this ownership claim is contested and she is currently the subject of action in the high courts) who, despite many attempts to save her from them, have refused access to her and sent her for scrap in a Turkish yard. Currently she is still on tow circling offshore while attempts are made to get her returned to the UK. Contrary to Peel Ports claims and her outward appearance, she is not a rusting wreck and could with the right home and support be a popular attraction again. There are local MPs and an MEP from Labour, UKIP & the Conservative parties that have got behind her cause but what she needs most at the moment is for the message of her need to reach a wider audience so that people who can support her see that she has strong public support. Any re tweets of tweets on the subject are therefore greatly appreciated. Please use the hash tag #SaveHMSPlymouth and follow @HMSPlymouth2013 if you want to lend support.

Lastly, in the UK we are privileged to enjoy a huge variety of preserved Historic Aircraft each summer yet despite being an Island nation who traditionally and historically prospered on the strength of our Navy, our Twentieth Century maritime heritage us largely forgotten. In the UK there are just three preserved warships built in the last 100 years, HMS Belfast in London. HMS Cavalier in Chatham Dockyard (The Cavalier was also saved from scrap at the 11th hour and has proved a popular tourist attraction) and HMS Caroline in Belfast (The Caroline isn't yet open to visitors). Here therefore we have our last chance to save this historic vessel and add her to that small list. It needs public will to accomplish that though and for that publicity is needed.

There are more details on this Open Retards Club Group

https://m.Retards Club.com/login.php?next=https%3A%2F%2Fm.Retards Club.com%2Fgroups%2FSAVE.HMS.PLYMOUTH.OPEN%2F&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hmsplymouthtrust.co.uk%2F&_rdr

Or this website

http://www.hmsplymouthtrust.co.uk/

Can you help?

What's this twitter thing then? Do I need an account or would it not be for me?

It's another form of social media. It's a simple system that allows members to post tweets consisting of links, photos or text message style messages (or a combination of the above).

To be honest I didn't really get it for a long time but have actually found it quite useful for following news and sports feeds. Plus of course getting OSF seen by a wider platform.

• 2 months later...

Isn't this forum enough, do we have to follow Twitter, Facialbook & whatever. Does it ad something to this forum??

I am oldskool and have no social media accounts as I don't have time to do so. I rather spent my time working on my OSF's and look at this forum.

Or is it just me getting old and should I joint the social media like Facialbook & Twitter cause everything is happening there and not on this forum and I should not miss anything....

So then like most my friends the phone signals every time "something" happens and Ill have to read whats going on..... if I do so... Ill get disturbed so much times so there will not be much wrenching on my OSF's.

Ill better keep it by this fantastic forum...

Just my 50pennies.....

Regards JP

All good points JP, on a personal level I don't use any form of Social Media myself either. Retards Club I despise and agree wholeheartedly that it takes people away from the forum, what they used to post on here they now post on there instead. Convenience for them I guess. I also dislike the way FB allows people to set up groups in our name that have nothing to do with us.

Twitter on the other hand actually provides a service for us and brings new members in to the forum rather than the other way round. Every new thread created on the forum automatically posts the thread title and a link to it on Twitter. This serves as a quick route to reading and posting on the thread for registered members and an incentive to sign up for unregistered members. When we first set this up a year or so ago I was also quite sceptical but now when new threads are started, they quickly end up with 20+ guests reading them at a time and if some of those guests join the forum, so much the better.

Isn't this forum enough, do we have to follow Twitter, Facialbook & whatever. Does it ad something to this forum??

I am oldskool and have no social media accounts as I don't have time to do so. I rather spent my time working on my OSF's and look at this forum.

Or is it just me getting old and should I joint the social media like Facialbook & Twitter cause everything is happening there and not on this forum and I should not miss anything....

So then like most my friends the phone signals every time "something" happens and Ill have to read whats going on..... if I do so... Ill get disturbed so much times so there will not be much wrenching on my OSF's.

Ill better keep it by this fantastic forum...

Just my 50pennies.....

Regards JP

There's a site on the interweb called facial book...apparently...anyway, moving on..

I'm with you, stick to one or you lose interest if you have too many sites on the go.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...