• Announcements

• Vista

Search Facility

Please note the existence of the Forum's Advanced Search Facility. It can be accessed from the search menu at the top right of the page, or from the link below   http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/ipb/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums
    • Vista

Forum Update   23/07/17

Please note that we will shortly be updating the forum's operating software to the latest version. There may be some outages as this process happens and it'll take us a few days to get everything set up in full again. The update is now complete, please bear with us while we sort out all the other stuff that proves necessary after such a big update
Sign in to follow this  
steved35

How too 2.4 zetec

Danish    344

I don't know the answer, but I'd like to know. We were talking about a 2.3 or 2.4 Pinto recently, but as far as I can see, I'd have to stroke it, which would reduce the max RPM, which would in turn remove some of the max power.  :-s

Vista    2,046

Stroking a pinto doesn't reduce the max power, rather it increases the torque and reduces the rpm needed to achieve it. My 2.2 Pinto has plenty of grunt without needing a zillion rpm to achieve it.

khanlad    500

Is it a zetec that they have in the galaxy? They do a 2.3 version of that, maybe its just an overbore ? No idea of power or what it revs like?

colr6    1,271

In my day it was side valve with aqua plane tuning equipment not fancy black boxes and lumps you couldn't do anything with

Snapper    67

The Galaxy 2.3 is a completely different engine to a Zetec

The Duratec 2.3 is a US Version as is the 2.5 found in the Ranger

Mostly it's a long stroke crank as some have bought the Ranger crank and put that in a Duratec with different rods & pistons

With the 2.0 Duratec capable of 200bhp in standard form and over 220 with a pair of cams it does seem to be an expensive way to more power.

The Pinto gets

2091cc with 93mm pistons

2136 with 94mm pistons

2228 with 93mm Pistons and 82mm stroke

2283 with 93mm pistons and 84mm stroke

2337 with 93mm pistons and 86mm stroke

2391 with 93mm pistons and 88mm stroke

2443 with 94mm pistons and 88mm stroke

I think after 84mm stroke you need to release the block and the bottom of the bore you will also have trouble with pump and pickup most would go dry sump

colr6    1,271

That's cheating vista changing people's posts! Back to my day what came out the back could be put to good use around the roses and potatoes, not kill you as the gases do today or is there some physasist out going to tell me different? Probably spelt wrong and the wrong word but who cares

Danish    344

Stroking a pinto doesn't reduce the max power, rather it increases the torque and reduces the rpm needed to achieve it. My 2.2 Pinto has plenty of grunt without needing a zillion rpm to achieve it.

Ah, interesting. 

SmokeEm    824

When building a decent pinto, IIRC you need to deck the block so the pistons sit proud very slightly. Raises compression too.

steved35    43

When building a decent pinto, IIRC you need to deck the block so the pistons sit proud very slightly. Raises compression too.

we are talking zetec trying to lol

colr6    1,271

Same applies.to any engine build check deck heights to establish comp ratio

colr6    1,271

If no-one has done this conversion then it's a case of suck it and see. Be prepared to throw some money away by getting the wrong parts and if you can't do the machining yourself be prepared for some hefty bills with the view it may not work! So be prepared. You don't get anywhere unless you try good luck mate

Snapper    67

Pinto and Zetec need different approach regarding block decking

The Pinto needs 0.9mm for a road car between head & Piston with a standard gasket you can have piston out of the block

With 1mm gasket your better flat

Plug electrode may be the closest point to the piston @ TDC if head skimmed

Zetec runs higher compression as standard and most would fit forged Pistons and overbore, how much I don't know

To be hones perusing the ultimate of any engine is costly and I often think "what's the point" when you can just move up an engine for less money

Crossflow to 160bhp

Pinto to 180 bhp

Zetec to 195 bhp

Duratec 200 to 260 and upwards

Danish    344

To be hones perusing the ultimate of any engine is costly and I often think "what's the point" when you can just move up an engine for less money

It's fun though. I'm building a super-charged Pinto. I'm hoping for 160bhp. I could buy a scrap Mondeo and have that much power off-the-shelf for a lot less money and time, but building an engine up myself and eeking out some more power is fun...

steved35    43

What's the point , ? I run 220 zetec to put a duratec in surly would cost more than may be getting 260 from a zetec it was grunt than bhp and wonder what sort of numbers we were talking and more of how things are done there's 2.2 2.4 pintos out there now what would be the point of that !!

steved35    43

It's fun though. I'm building a super-charged Pinto. I'm hoping for 160bhp. I could buy a scrap Mondeo and have that much power off-the-shelf for a lot less money and time, but building an engine up myself and eeking out some more power is fun...

good luck with that nice to see some one doing something u don't see every day

khanlad    500

Whats the maximum overbore on a 2.0 zetec? Does it go +30,60,90? Would something like a +90 give you nearly 2.1 like a 2.0 pinto, if thats right? Or am i talking out of my bottom? Whats the thinking of wanting to go bigger, it went well on the trips to and from mk! You getting a bit worried about your lads duratec install? Hehe