• Announcements

• Vista

Search Facility

Please note the existence of the Forum's Advanced Search Facility. It can be accessed from the search menu at the top right of the page, or from the link below   http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/ipb/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums
    • Vista

Forum Update   23/07/17

Please note that we will shortly be updating the forum's operating software to the latest version. There may be some outages as this process happens and it'll take us a few days to get everything set up in full again. The update is now complete, please bear with us while we sort out all the other stuff that proves necessary after such a big update
chinkamon

Fuel tank sender replacement

Well......

It was easy in theory.....

Mk1 cortina,

Drain the tank, remove it, flush the tank, replace sender unit, replace the tank, have a beer an feel smug for a bit with my feet up.

So some bugger replaced all my fuel with litres of tea..???

Removed the tank easy enough

Flush the tank....more tea coming out the tank plus a few black bits..?? post-13298-0-43893400-1463347242_thumb.jpg

Replace the sender... a black gooey blob that resembles the stay puft marshmallow man fights his way out the sender hole and makes a run for it post-13298-0-54774400-1463347322_thumb.jpg

Now the sender doesn't fit.... slight fettle the filter gauze on the end of the pick up pipe...it fits ..put a drop of fuel in it........an it leaked.... :(

So close yet no cigar!! But boy was there some rust in it!!!

post-13298-0-38590400-1463347443_thumb.jpgpost-13298-0-14569000-1463347468_thumb.jpg

Can see a few blocked jets coming out of that !!! Be putting a few in line filters in if I was you. Sure there is some tank cleaners on the market might be worth a look

On bikes I've used tank restore which consists of a cleaner then a coating of sealer to stop re-rusting with good results. Used on bikes some ten years ago and still going strong

If you want to get rid of the rust on metal [little things] this can be done by electrolease , i have done this and it work very good.

I must say at the i have used also the sandblaster , but it isn`t necessary.

Water with salt or soda , plus on a clean peace of metal and the min on the rusted piece.

And isolate the wires because they are gettin hot.

A fuel tank is big , but it can be done.

memory stick 1849.JPG

memory stick 1854.JPG

memory stick 1845.JPG

new tanks are on the market. just bite the bullet and buy one. trouble and hassle free and will last another 50 years or so! :)