Tax Exemption - Strange New Rule

In The Pit

As of April 1st 2016 cars built in 1975 qualify for free road tax, I have a (late) January 1976 registered car that was built in 1975, it should be free to tax and you used to be able to get a letter from an owners club to prove the year of manufacture and they will change it on the log book to allow the vehicle into the historic tax class however the DVLA appear to have changed the rules in what documents they consider acceptable to change a vehicles year of manufacture. They now say they won't accept a letter from an owners club, this is taken from the DVLA website stating what you need to change a year of manufacture:

"an extract from the manufacturer/factory record or an extract from the appropriate ‘Glasses Check Book’. Dating certificates from a vehicle enthusiasts’ club are not acceptable to change the date of manufacture for an already registered vehicle"

Anyone got around this, I have genuine Ford information that can show the build date (workshop manual etc) but it doesn't look like they will accept this. The Glass's Check Book' is a strange one as they were only available to the trade and ones that cover 70's cars have been out of print since the 1980's.

Does anyone have a Glass's Check Book that covers 1975 if so are they able to scan one page of it to cover my car? (note the check book is different to the car value books they produced)

thanks

They still do accept information from clubs but only to confirm a vehicles identity, a club's age dating certificate has to be accompanied by a Glass's check book extract. We hold Glass's check books covering from 1960 - 1984 but as we charge for providing letters and check book extracts, you may be better to try using the Ford information you already have. If you get no joy then come back to me.

• Like 1

That line makes no sense (sorry cant cut and paste or quote now for some strange reason):

"Dating certificates from a vehicle enthusiasts club are not acceptable to CHANGE the date of manufacture for an already registered vehicle."

You're not CHANGING the date of manufacture, that stays the same based on the 2 letter code in chassis number.

V5's do not state year of manufacture only registration date. And its really a very simple thing to decode a Fords build date if the DVLA could be bothered to use some of their vast moneypot to write a simple program using the information they already have (chassis number with 2 letter year code). Seems incredibly dumb and long winded when all the info is readily available. Just another piece of stupid British red tape...

That line makes no sense (sorry cant cut and paste or quote now for some strange reason):

"Dating certificates from a vehicle enthusiasts club are not acceptable to CHANGE the date of manufacture for an already registered vehicle."

You're not CHANGING the date of manufacture, that stays the same based on the 2 letter code in chassis number.

V5's do not state year of manufacture only registration date. And its really a very simple thing to decode a Fords build date if the DVLA could be bothered to use some of their vast moneypot to write a simple program using the information they already have (chassis number with 2 letter year code). Seems incredibly dumb and long winded when all the info is readily available. Just another piece of stupid British red tape...

Actually they do now add date of manufacture if the car has been proved to have been manufactured the year before it was registered, I have it on at least one of my V5c's . Also you are changing the date of manufacture but not with respect to the car, with respect to the DVLA's records of it.

The last point? yes, red tape indeed. 

fantastic thanks, although mine wont be finished till atleast next year. i do have  some paperwork from dvla that i got some years back that verifys the date of manufacture and registration and a copy of every logbook and 1st owner registration. not sure if dvla still do that do they?

Paperwork from the DVLA is unlikely to say the date of manufacture unless you or a previous owner has already changed it. If it already says 1975 (check your V5C) then you might be able to change the taxation class just by going to the Post Office. If it doesn't then you'll need to send the V5C off to the DVLA along with supporting information.

i applied for copys of previous keepers about 10 or so years back, which if you payed something like 20 quid dvla sent a photo copy of every logbook that was issued for a particular vehicle. both the logbook of mine and the paperwork dvla sent me say date of registration 22 3 76 but the paperwork dvla sent me also says date it was made which was 11 75. like i say, wont be on the road for a while so cross that bridge when i get there, although ive heard that the free tax moves every year, so next year 76 vehicles will be tax exempt?

Will try a different browser thanks...didn't know they now included date of manufacture, but its clearly a very easy thing to do based on the info the dvla already have regarding chassis numbers, and I'm sure they can get the relevant date codes from many publications if not indeed Ford themselves. A simple algorithm/program written by a 12 year old in his bedroom on his iphone could be used to cross check 2 letters in a chassis number against 2 letters on a relatively small date chart, or a couple of people in an office checking the details, its not rocket science is it? Would take literally seconds for them to do-shocking...

just got it out of the drawer and looked at it, says date of manufacture 30 12 75. took a picture of it to post on here but im a dinosaur and ant got a bloody clue how to put it on.

Go to the bottom of the page where it says something like "more options", click that and you get the option to upload files.

you can teach an old dog new tricks!!!! where the 75 has been altered, that how dvla sent me it. and the address dosent matter to those who like to steal old fords cos thats where i lived in 2003. left there 11yrs ago, and now got a secret location!

Because it's has been altered without signature or stamp, I would wager that they'd reject that even though it's their document. Their position will be that you could have done that yourself (despite it being impossible for it to be registered months before it was made as per the way it read originally). I would still send supporting evidence personally.

Will try a different browser thanks...didn't know they now included date of manufacture, but its clearly a very easy thing to do based on the info the dvla already have regarding chassis numbers, and I'm sure they can get the relevant date codes from many publications if not indeed Ford themselves. A simple algorithm/program written by a 12 year old in his bedroom on his iphone could be used to cross check 2 letters in a chassis number against 2 letters on a relatively small date chart, or a couple of people in an office checking the details, its not rocket science is it? Would take literally seconds for them to do-shocking...

That's a very simplistic view and maybe only applies to UK or Euro Fords - half the time Aus or SA car dates can't be determined by chassis plate details! And what about all the other vehicle manufacturers that don't include date codes in their VIN's? It is not in the DVLA's interest to offer reductions in excise duty potential even though permissible, so unfortunately, if you want it - you'll have to work for it! We do love red tape in the UK................cos we're good at it LOL!

That's a very simplistic view and maybe only applies to UK or Euro Fords - half the time Aus or SA car dates can't be determined by chassis plate details! And what about all the other vehicle manufacturers that don't include date codes in their VIN's? It is not in the DVLA's interest to offer reductions in excise duty potential even though permissible, so unfortunately, if you want it - you'll have to work for it! We do love red tape in the UK................cos we're good at it LOL!

That's a good point, especially the foreign cars. Many of the assessment and dating letters we send out are for imported cars. Getting information on some of them is a nightmare, especially those that come in from South Africa.

And it says manufactured 11/75? I would send that off now with the v5c and an application to get the Taxation class changed to historic vehicle. Why wait till the end?

I have in my mind that the car needs to be MoT'd and taxed for the taxation class to be changed to historic, or have I got that wrong? Anyone had their car changed to historic while it sits in bits or SORN'd? My Mk1 was built Dec '73 but is not on the road and I of course want it changed.

I have in my mind that the car needs to be MoT'd and taxed for the taxation class to be changed to historic, or have I got that wrong? Anyone had their car changed to historic while it sits in bits or SORN'd? My Mk1 was built Dec '73 but is not on the road and I of course want it changed.

That might be so, it certainly has to be mot'd and taxed for a number plate to be transferred. It suggests MOT and insurance are required at the link below but that may only be if you're intending to re-tax it as a historic vehicle. May be different if you're declaring it SORN. I guess the only way to find out is to try?

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-tax-class/tax-due-to-run-out-or-changing-if-vehicle-is-exempt

If yours is 73, you should just be able to do it at the post office. Try taking the v5c in and asking them to change it to historic vehicle and declare it SORN at the same time.

• Like 1