Sign in to follow this  
Gasmonley1986

Starting out and need help.

Hi I'm new and in need of some help I want to start racing and well in short I'm a family man retraining to be a mechanic so in a tight budget I've got a mk2 fiesta and I've got a 1.8 zetec and I've got some bits to turbo it but I don't know if it's overkill or not enough? Any help would be great thanks guys.

What 'racing' do you want to do? Every different discipline has very different requirements, of both the car, and of your skill. What makes a good drag car will make a bad circuit car, what makes a good circuit car will make a bad sprint car, what makes a good sprint car makes a bad drag car etc.

How much experience do you have? Excuse me if I sound blunt - but if you're asking this question, I shall assume none!

By far the best thing to do is to start off with what you have.

Learn how to race first. Decide whether you like it. Then learn the car as it is. Once you know what you're doing, that you enjoy it, and know the car, you will then be in a better position to understand what aspect of the car you feel is holding you back from progressing further.

Don't go throwing money at something until you know what it is you need to spend money on.

If you're wanting to get involved with the OSFDC next year, then come along in your car as it is, and have a chat with some of the regulars. The likes of Steve Jennerway, Brett Wright, Chris Todd, Robert White and others have helped me greatly this year in getting to know how to drag race, and without their help and advice, I'd have not made the improvements to myself that I've made this year during my first year of the OSFDC - this interaction, and these improvements have made a better impact to my times this year than every penny I've spent on the car - by far the best value-for-money approach.

I now know where my limitations are with my car, and what I can do to improve it - but I still have more I can do to improve myself - this is something that will continue for many years!

Yeah, first thing to deal with, what type of racing.

Not everything is allowed in circuit racing unless its a closed group or regular track days.

Any type of motor sport will cost you money and impact your lifestyle, take banger racing, you can get a car for nothing and prep it for small cost, but you will need a trailer and tow vehicle, you will also need somewhere to keep the banger on the trailer so £££

As the other guys have said you need to think about what sort of motorsport you want to do, you will have to join a car club if you want to do RAC MSA events, sprints/ road rallys/ auto solos etc

You will also need to pay for a license and ensure that you vehicle has been prepared in accordance with MSA Blue book regulations, certain events will require you to wear protective clothing,

Helmet and fireproof overalls etc.

Trackdays are a good entry into all things motorsport, you can take your daily and have a good safe blast round at your own pace for not a lot of outlay or if its drag action you crave, then do a Run What You Brung

at one of the drag tracks.

Remember "Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go"  :Bravo:

I used to race (motorbikes) and as people have said it can be expensive, the old adage of "how fast can you afford to go" really is true.

Best advice from me is to choose the type of racing you want to do, circuit or drag? Autos testing or hill climbs? A key thing to think about is do you want to race other people directly (circuit) or against yourself, something like a hillclimbs where you are pitting yourself against the hill as much as the other guys.

In my experience racing others directly is more expensive than racing yourself (if that makes sense).

Ultimately I got fed up of racing for the last few places simply because I couldn't afford to compete at the front.

The other consideration if you have a family is that it can take up a lot of time, and weekends, so make sure you are ok with this.

Go into it with your eyes wide open and it can be brilliant fun, go in with rose tinted specs and it can be expensive, demoralising and frustrating.

Ken