Jump to content
Ben Perry

Mk2 1600 sport zetec

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, John escort mk1V6 said:

Oke , i have seen two type`s of these kind of flooding shafts , but they were not cheap.

Yes they are lol but look cool I guess

7345ABAF-FFC9-4C43-B3B8-CD71319C3637.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you dish , i wish i could buy these along time ago , becourse have let done some capri axles made shorter for mine mk1v6 axle , i did took the 3.0 ltr diff with the escort mk2 tubes.

At the moment i have a set Original escort mk1 16 tooth axles in it , but did have to of cut off 7 mm , becourse a have a plate lsd.

It looks as the real deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do these fit, compared to a standard half shaft? 

Is there much work converting over and is it worth it?

I still have a bit of a drone coming from under my car at different loads. Engine, box and diff now completely rebuilt. Also changes my half shaft bearings when renewing the diff. However, one of these is not the tightest fit in the axle. They were SKF too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, dt36 said:

How do these fit, compared to a standard half shaft? 

Is there much work converting over and is it worth it?

I still have a bit of a drone coming from under my car at different loads. Engine, box and diff now completely rebuilt. Also changes my half shaft bearings when renewing the diff. However, one of these is not the tightest fit in the axle. They were SKF too. 

Hi dt , it must be very easy to fit . motorsporttools.

_FWJ7264_3.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no hardship converting to two peice shafts at all, they use the existing bearings and are. Pressed on from the outside instead of the inside, retained by the original bearing cover. Don't know about the 3J ones but the quaife ones protrude 10mm further out on the flange plate over std. The quaife ones are supposed to be a direct replacement for std h/ shafts but can assure you they're not! These are classed as semi floating not to be confused with the fully floating rally versions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, thanks both. 

I thought it might possibly have a different bearing arrangement. I'm just wondering that although I've got new bearings fitted, that one of them might be causing the droning noise. The one that's not the tightest fit, might get a light spot weld soon, just to make sure it's not spinning 

If I put it on axle stands, I can't replicate any noise. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dt36 said:

OK, thanks both. 

I thought it might possibly have a different bearing arrangement. I'm just wondering that although I've got new bearings fitted, that one of them might be causing the droning noise. The one that's not the tightest fit, might get a light spot weld soon, just to make sure it's not spinning 

If I put it on axle stands, I can't replicate any noise. 

With putting it on stands your removing all loads, if it's a wheel bearing you've got no weight on it, and if it's a diff bearing there's no torque load on it. W/ bearings are the cheapest option to change first. Are you on two peice prop Dale? If so check centre bearing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here`s the other one from quaife/burton power , with this set the wheel comes more out , and than you must have the clearance for it , i can`t use it with brake discs and the 7j rs with 205-50-13 , or it wil be a very close fit under the mk1.

QUAAK1.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the fully floating kit,......nice..... But a definate overkill for a road car! If you want to go down those lines usually it's a total bespoke axle which be built to given width taking into account the extra depth of that set up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, colr6 said:

That's the fully floating kit,......nice..... But a definate overkill for a road car! If you want to go down those lines usually it's a total bespoke axle which be built to given width taking into account the extra depth of that set up.

Yes Col i agree for normal road you don`t need this , but i was thinking about the semi floading becourse i did have problems to get a good matching set short shafts escort mk1/mk2 size with 16 tooths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×