Its been a while but im back with a brand new old car to play with!

same old story, stumbled on this mk1 fiesta and got that feeling where I couldnt not buy it.... again!

Its been standing for a lot of years and I dont really know what im going to do with it yet. First off I thought about zetecing it but not so sure now, I do love the sound of a crossflow and dont really like the idea of an engine from the wrong era. originally it was a 950 but it has had a 1300 fitted at some point. Not sure how tunable the 1300 is but maybe ill soup it up a bit or go for a 1600 xflow,  but they seem rare now! I just dont know yet. I  havent got loads of money to chuck at it so im gonna make the best of what iv got for now and start by getting it running and see whats needed for the mot.  

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG

Looks a great basis to start from :thumbsup: .

"Soup it up" now there's an old skool phrase I haven't heard for a long time!

This looks like a complete stripdown . once you dig in there, you'll know. panel repair does not have to be expensive.  

just get it running right, "a souped up Ford" is worries for later

1300 engine is coming out as it will need rebuilding so probably wont go back in. Im thinking might as well rebuild a 1600 instead or go zetec, to be honest power for money ratio is telling me to go zetec. Iv had a dig around and it doesnt look to bad rot wise. Will need a bit of work in boot corner, new arch and a new cill but that came with it, scuttle panel is gone and im bound to find some more (prob every corner) but im a welder by trade so that doesnt scare me Iv delt with a lot worse than this! lol. Plan is to get it strong and roadworthy with a decent engine in it, good brakes and suspension, not bothered about the looks/bodywork yet ill play with that later. Biggest problem at the moment is deciding what engine and box to use.

me too working in the same biz. i am a welder / fitter. Just saying if you have the chance, get rid of all rust you can find, even if you have to drill out some panels.

Engine wise, everybody's own choice, but for me Zetec is to common, nothing new and i dont like following trends. No hurry, wise lessons i took in time. Less money? 

project on hold. saved Money? continue, as simpel as that.

I have taken my "souped-up-oversized-slugs :pimp:  motor " beyond my initial budget, but in the end it will be a rare sight on street or meetings again, at least in Holland that is. 

But in your case, i'd go for a kent crossflow. 1600 is rare but a worked 1300cc with 90 hp makes fun too. 

• Like 1

A lot of work ! ....You have three options front engined rwd.....2) mid engined rwd.....3) rear engined rwd... Engine choice could be quite varied from a bike engine to rover v8. Or if you've got loads of cash v8 hyabusa mid mounted. If you do have loads of cash for the last option don't forget to save a few coppers for some brown trousers.

Not that common due to the amount of work involved, rear engined rwd can be mounted transverse but the other options run down the car or if you go for twin engines side by side mid mounted.

Just a quick pic of my nephews V8 hyabusa in the back of a mini pick up transversely mounted. Think this a prototype mounted this way. These type of engines more commonly used in the radical cars. The pick was taken at the NEC Motorsport show

post-15376-0-91154600-1487580389_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

wow that thing must really move! unfortunately due to not being loaded or having lots of free time I have decided to go the zetec rout. If anyone has any tips on doing the conversion my ears are open! but I`v got a lot of welding to do on the thing first, every time I look at it i find more rot!!! this means the old 1300 crossflow will be up for sale if anyone needs one.

Got a bit done today, stripped out interior and removed wing so I could see what I have to work with. Its a rotter! 

IMG_0997.thumb.JPG.87836972ee4e7324f55daf4a8253d4c6.JPGIMG_1002.thumb.JPG.d34e8bf676b2b3a128297ff8f8f07bfd.JPGIMG_1001.thumb.JPG.d24dab8bad1591bb1546aac3ca435b75.JPGIMG_0998.thumb.JPG.e5e6d2209a10eb8a4b5f2dedef315845.JPGIMG_0996.thumb.JPG.3255edf193cc7cff1f514effc9115af9.JPGIMG_0995.thumb.JPG.20127d87ad933964c024afccd7526e3b.JPGIMG_0993.thumb.JPG.54eee798a6bb3d313c5e671602ecd6e0.JPGIMG_0991.thumb.JPG.1270812fb96128a94c52c6d65242e4f0.JPGIMG_0990.thumb.JPG.f99ed48294d38ed710a116de4ac16b93.JPG

might be able to save the wing but I think its probably too far gone 

inner wing will need new lip welding on at the very least 

cut some rot out 

been fighting against the wind blowing my gas away today but made a good start on it. 

thats all for one day.

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

• Like 1

what i tell ya. complete stripdown. But it'll be worth it, as long as be doing it properly. Hard job doing it all on the driveway

yep lol, driveway situation is not ideal but it will get done quicker that way as my garage is a few miles from home and id never get anything done if i leave it there. At least if its here I can have an hour or two after work.

dont worry, i have my MOT fail repairproject running for 5 years now. stick at it, its a neat lttle car