bob wiggins

Wiring help dynamo to alternator please

Yes and yes, two wires to alt one thick one thin ? One wire for coil + the wire from neg is not part of the loom it comes from the distributor

The ign light is wired from the ign switch then downtown alternator and before the alternator starts to charge it puts that live wire to earth to bring the light on and when the alternator starts to charge it breaks that circuit so light goes off. Then you need a thick wire (60 amp) to take the charge to the battery which he should have put in. The thick wire that's not there from alt goes to the battery feed on starter solonoid. Think I would be dropping him a line to see how he's supposed to have wired it.

I've wired all my own cars and bikes and there all still going, I'm not a sparky

You will have to or it won't charge the battery. leave all wires off alternator make sure they cannot short out on anything. Connect rest of harness up and turn ign on, touch one of the wires to earth to see if ign light comes on then do the same with the other one and see what happens. Can't understand how he's wired it having two small wires to alt especially if they are both live. All my alternators only required one live which is to feed ign light.

Would you be willing to help me ? For ££. , it's doing my head in but I'm sure it's just the thick wire that needs looking into

Will you be going to Classic Ford this week end?

I won't get there till about 4-30 as I'm camping, if you still there then we can meet up and can show you on my Tina what's what.

Can do, if I remember will bring a test meter with me and see if we can find out how he's wired things. My number is 07710394513 send me a text around my arrival time and can meet up. Cheers Col

I can only get a red dash light if I earth the wire that is marked warn light instead of plugging it in to the alternator?

That sounds correct as one side of the bulb gets 12v when key 'on', the other side is earthed through the alternator until it is rotating - when it is, it puts 12v into that wire and the two cancel each other out! When the alt is stressed and not outputing enough its voltage output will be lower so there is a unequal potential across the bulb so it will glow dimly up to full bright depending on the difference.

Are you plugging the wire to the 'W' terminal - Not the 'D' one which is the correct one?

I have tried the small wire that is marked warning light into the small terminal and I have a thicker wire either in the middle or outside terminal and still only have an orange light up , if I earth the small wire I get both ignition lights up 

1 hour ago, bob wiggins said:

I have tried the small wire that is marked warning light into the small terminal and I have a thicker wire either in the middle or outside terminal and still only have an orange light up , if I earth the small wire I get both ignition lights up 

None of the terminals are usually marked 'warning light' - that is a byproduct of the connection.

refer to this.......

Alternator Wiring Connections 2.pdf

I sent my original loom to a firm called spanner monkeys up north if I remember, he modified it and labeled it which Is why I have two wires ready for the alt, one says ign live and 1 says warn light , both thin 

It’s mentally draining me , I have no clue about wiring , done such a nice job on the rest of the car but the wiring has stopped me