Sign in to follow this  
bigbadsquare

1500 pre crossflow engine help.

OK guys I've got a new old stock ford 1500 pre crossflow cylinder head still in the box (not GT). It's marked up as a low compression version (L).

Anybody know what the difference between the low and High compression (H) cylinder head.

Also I'm trying to get some valves for it. Now looking in my Cortina book it shows a standard 1500 inlet valve is bigger than the GT valve. Can this be correct? Anybody be able to give me a definite answer I would be very grateful. Thanks Paul

It'll be the combustion chamber volume which will larger. If I remember correctly the chamber shape on a GT head is different to a std one plus the cam fitted to GT has a better lift plus breathing through a 28/36 weber and better exhaust manifold all adds up to a few more jee jees

OK guys I've got a new old stock ford 1500 pre crossflow cylinder head still in the box (not GT). It's marked up as a low compression version (L).

Anybody know what the difference between the low and High compression (H) cylinder head.

Also I'm trying to get some valves for it. Now looking in my Cortina book it shows a standard 1500 inlet valve is bigger than the GT valve. Can this be correct? Anybody be able to give me a definite answer I would be very grateful. Thanks Paul

I can confirm that 1500gt inlet valves ARE smaller - it was to do with un-shrouding the valves in an effort to get better breathing (valves might be fractionally lighter but not sure how much that helps!)

As already said by Colr6, the combustion chamber would be slightly bigger. You could skim the head to raise compression but depending on what ratio you are after it might be wiser to use a HC head in the 1st place.