gear box and axle oil

chinkamon

hi all

so the mk1 tina is running beautifully now I'm happy to report how ever as I was gunning it down the road I suddenly thought is the oil levels ok?!?!

they were luckily but I've only changed engine oil since owning the car as levels as have been fine in axle and gear box but is it something g that's maybe worth draining and replacing if so any suggestions on the best to replace it with

If ou have the standard 3 rail cortina box you'll need 75/90 mineral GL4 oil (do not use GL5), and for a standard rear axle an EP80/90 hypoid GL5 is what you need. I normally use Comma oils for axle and gearbox. 

• Like 1

If ou have the standard 3 rail cortina box you'll need 75/90 mineral GL4 oil (do not use GL5), and for a standard rear axle an EP80/90 hypoid GL5 is what you need. I normally use Comma oils for axle and gearbox.

that's great thanks very much

so I'm guessing wouldn't hurt to change the oil then? axle oil I just used to top up til I could feel it with my finger but never touched the gear box so any ideas how much I'd need?

that's great thanks very much

so I'm guessing wouldn't hurt to change the oil then? axle oil I just used to top up til I could feel it with my finger but never touched the gear box so any ideas how much I'd need?

1.75 imperial pints - it's all in the manuals! They are useful - if you haven't got one now's the time! 

• Like 1

where do you but yours? I can only find synthetic listed

It's always advantageous to change oil. Even the so called 'long life' oils have an expiry time ! The type of oil in yours is of the type when it was thought adding sawdust to it cured a lot of things ( how times have changed) .....have you seen the price of sawdust!! Cheaper to change the oil. Your oil will be well past its sell by date .....get it changed