• Announcements

• Vista

Search Facility

Please note the existence of the Forum's Advanced Search Facility. It can be accessed from the search menu at the top right of the page, or from the link below   http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/ipb/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums
    • Vista

Forum Update   23/07/17

Please note that we will shortly be updating the forum's operating software to the latest version. There may be some outages as this process happens and it'll take us a few days to get everything set up in full again. The update is now complete, please bear with us while we sort out all the other stuff that proves necessary after such a big update
Sign in to follow this  
Rally Pack 2000

Throtte Brackets for Lotus Twincam

The Lotus Twincam engine has an upper and lower bracket for the throttle system in between the two 40mm Webers. The upper one for the return spring and the lower one for the cable end to clip into. Stage 1 do a nice replica of the top return spring bracket.

TwincamThrottlebracket1s.jpg.b1c74fe2115253d143c64ebe57e02f3d.jpg

The bottom bracket for the cable however is an integral part of the Twincams Airbox.

TwincamAirbox.jpg.0876a88b62c1420bd2021ca1dc8dc78f.jpg

A problem arises however that unless your at a show or whatever the airbox assembly including its infamous muffler filter holder is probably best stored safely until specifically needed. A good example can be worth a couple of thousand pounds now. So K&Ns seem like a good day to day option except you also need a lower bracket for the cable to replace the one that's part of the airbox assembly.

I had the idea of purchasing two of the above brackets and simply inverting one but if you look at the angle on the return spring the lower bracket bay not protrude as far out from the head and force the cable at an angle if you compare the length of the bracket part of the airbox. Bend it maybe? Does someone produce a lower bracket possibly just for that purpose? Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful

Two options, either make a bracket to fix on the two inner lower carb bolts or buy an after market throttle linkage which simply bolts on  the float chamber screws. There should be a downward entry for cable option on some of the linkages so you can use your existing cable. Another option is reverse pull, mount inner cable to top mount and use outer cable through the eye on the carb linkage then simply add a return Spring downwards to the engine mount. Which would require a small hole drilling in it ( wouldn't be seen when not in use ) 

38 minutes ago, colr6 said:

Two options, either make a bracket to fix on the two inner lower carb bolts or buy an after market throttle linkage which simply bolts on  the float chamber screws. There should be a downward entry for cable option on some of the linkages so you can use your existing cable. Another option is reverse pull, mount inner cable to top mount and use outer cable through the eye on the carb linkage then simply add a return Spring downwards to the engine mount. Which would require a small hole drilling in it ( wouldn't be seen when not in use ) 

Thanks Col I dont really want to add a completely different linkage system that attaches to the float screws. (not to mention they don't look that great either) Most likely I would like to add the original filter box when Im at a show or whatever so don't want to have to remove the whole linkage just add it over the top with the the top original bracket for the return strong already in place.

Can you explain a bit more the reverse pull option? I thought that's what it may already have had? Thanks muchly

To do a reverse pull you simply put the outer cable to the moving part and the inner cable to a fixed part instead of the other way round of which yours is. Two ways to do it are for a downward facing cable you have to move the throttle linkage 180 degrees as it is working the opposite way ( it's pushing instead of pulling) so looking at your pic the throttle link on the carb goes down and for reverse pull it needs to go up. If I remember correctly you should be able to swop the link on the carb round. The easiest way with your set up as it is, is to route the cable from the top so the outer goes onto the carb linkage and the inner to a fixed point the nearest in line would be the engine mount. Doing it that way you can leave the carb linkage as is along with the spring in its original position. It's a long time since I looked at an original air box, is your inner cable fastened to the bracket on the air box backing plate ?

Im definitely confused now. What mine has is just as you describe as a reverse pull. The cable comes down from above The sheath of the cable attaches to the linkage and the centre cable continues straight down with a button at the end that clips into that arm on the filter box like a bottom anchor. Because the sheath its attached at the linkage the whole cable bobs up and down when you press the accelerator rather than just conventionally the centre core of the cable moves in and out without much movement from the body of the cable itself. Its that bottom bracket I need to clip the end of the centre cable into. All the top bracket and cable arrangement would stay the same and just bolt on a bottom bracket to replace the arm on the airbox.

This is an image of the standard arrangement like mine has but its clean and new. My car still has its original grubby Webers from 1970.

TwincamThrottleBracket2.thumb.jpg.4c5e2259a59567eca6ebd48fd488ebf4.jpg

So yours already has the reverse pull. Makes things simples then !!! All you have to do is mount a rod off the engine mount side to the same position at the air box bracket ends up with a hole in it to take the inner cable.......simples

15 hours ago, colr6 said:

So yours already has the reverse pull. Makes things simples then !!! All you have to do is mount a rod off the engine mount side to the same position at the air box bracket ends up with a hole in it to take the inner cable.......simples

The home made job for the top and bottom that are currently on the engine flex a bit too much so was after something a bit more professionally made to fit on the lower carburettor / Manifold studs in similar fashion the spring return bracket attaches to the top one. I was hoping since the engine isn't limited to a couple of of Fords that someone may have come up with a professionally fabricated solution like they have with Stage 1 and the top one. I sometimes get a local engineer to whip up things for me but he cringes when he seems me walk trough his door lol.

1 hour ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

The home made job for the top and bottom that are currently on the engine flex a bit too much so was after something a bit more professionally made to fit on the lower carburettor / Manifold studs in similar fashion the spring return bracket attaches to the top one. I was hoping since the engine isn't limited to a couple of of Fords that someone may have come up with a professionally fabricated solution like they have with Stage 1 and the top one. I sometimes get a local engineer to whip up things for me but he cringes when he seems me walk trough his door lol.

He obviously doesn't know the high caliber vehicle he's working on !