Jump to content
mk1alexp

Could a lot of us end up on a q plate ?

Recommended Posts

The top document is the latest version and gives an interesting read. 

Further down,  it states "changes to be implemented 20th May 2018".

Mine hasn't yet hit it's 40th birthday,  but I think I'll still get it up on the ramp to be tested. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/roadworthiness-testing-for-vehicles-of-historic-interest

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lee_capri said:

i think you will find Q plates dont exist  any more any more  

Oh yes they do - issued to anything that can't be age determined ie rebuilds or kit cars!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I can make out, not affect registration of vehicles if modified, only whether it gets exemption from 40yr rolling mot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mk1del said:

From what I can make out, not affect registration of vehicles if modified, only whether it gets exemption from 40yr rolling mot

and if I have read it correctly, if you do not qualify for the 40 year exemption, it means you will either have to have a new registration or a Q plate, depending on why your vehicle dosnt qualify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if your vehicle doesn't qualify as historical interest say using the points system, does that mean you no longer qualify for free road tax ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think that's also part of it, can't really see why a  vehicle will need re registering  probably different  tax classification, like you say free  mot and tax or no free mot and tax,, also mentions self certification , don't really think they know themselves yet ,, can't imagine dvla sticking all modified vehicles on a Q plate, , most modified or modernized classics have proof of year manufactured,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, colr6 said:

So if your vehicle doesn't qualify as historical interest say using the points system, does that mean you no longer qualify for free road tax ?

that's basically the way I read it Colin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mk1del said:

Think that's also part of it, can't really see why a  vehicle will need re registering  probably different  tax classification, like you say free  mot and tax or no free mot and tax,, also mentions self certification , don't really think they know themselves yet ,, can't imagine dvla sticking all modified vehicles on a Q plate, , most modified or modernized classics have proof of year manufactured,

if you read the document, its about complying with EU legislation, and its not a DVLA thing, although they will use the DVLA pointing system to help enforce it, the draft guidance will be updated in November, and it will be law as of 20th May 18, you will have to declare when you tax your car, if its mot exempt or heavily modified, if modified, and if it dosnt meet 8 points, you will have to go through the re registration process, one doc contradicts another at the moment over mods carried out prior to 1988, but its an EU directive that all modified cars are still MOTd,

I would imagine there will be something come in to control or effectively make illegal any false declarations, but at the mo, that's not mentioned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So i wonder what will happen after we eventually complete Brexit and hopefully gain control of our own law making decisions again ?.. as this is EU legislation and an EU directive ?. Will our own government review this afterwards ?

Probably not !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you read the document, a review will happen, cant remember the exact year, but around 2025

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, colr6 said:

So if your vehicle doesn't qualify as historical interest say using the points system, does that mean you no longer qualify for free road tax ?

if it doesnt meet the 8 points col and you want to use it on the road it will need an iva or biva test

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eeb43 said:

if it doesnt meet the 8 points col and you want to use it on the road it will need an iva or biva test

If we are all law abiding citizens there's going to be a few thousand tests applied for then! Don't suppose any will meet current regs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So just have it MOTd and pay the road tax, no biggie

just have to take more pop bottles back for the pennies...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, colr6 said:

So just have it MOTd and pay the road tax, no biggie

just have to take more pop bottles back for the pennies...lol

by the sound of it i'll just mot mine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, colr6 said:

So just have it MOTd and pay the road tax, no biggie

just have to take more pop bottles back for the pennies...lol

take the pop bottles back lol, now theres your age coming out Colin lol, or do they still do that up north

been saying for ages, that's where recycling should go back to

read the docs, as far as I understand what I read, and I may be wrong, as everyone interprets differently, you will have to either go to the post office, or apply online for your tax, depending on first historic tax or continuing, at that point, everyone with a classic car over 40 years old will have to specify, yes or no that their car has been modified, if you state no when it has been, then drive it, your driving an illegal car, if you say yes, the tax will be refused, then from there, you have to decide which test your vehicle needs to remain on the road, and until its gone thru that and you have either your Q plate or modern registration no. your off the road

that's just the way I read the documents, I know some clubs, especially in the hot rod side, are saying to members its all rubbish and wont and cant happen, but that may be because they are mainly imports I don't know, the rules may be different for imports

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ray said:

take the pop bottles back lol, now theres your age coming out Colin lol, or do they still do that up north

been saying for ages, that's where recycling should go back to

read the docs, as far as I understand what I read, and I may be wrong, as everyone interprets differently, you will have to either go to the post office, or apply online for your tax, depending on first historic tax or continuing, at that point, everyone with a classic car over 40 years old will have to specify, yes or no that their car has been modified, if you state no when it has been, then drive it, your driving an illegal car, if you say yes, the tax will be refused, then from there, you have to decide which test your vehicle needs to remain on the road, and until its gone thru that and you have either your Q plate or modern registration no. your off the road

that's just the way I read the documents, I know some clubs, especially in the hot rod side, are saying to members its all rubbish and wont and cant happen, but that may be because they are mainly imports I don't know, the rules may be different for imports

the test is £500 and very strict and complicated

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done an SVA on a truck, what an absolute load of the round ones that was. Totally original truck as per manufacturer, certificates required for this that and the other and then tell me that certain things don't meet the SVA regs........the same bloody stuff is still fitted to new trucks !! So obviously the SVA regs are different to the European regs that the trucks are built to even to come into this country. So you've no chance whatsoever with a 40/50 yr old car. Think I'll take my chances on mine not having radical changes. This Deffo a case of red tape going mad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bubble arches, cage, buckets and a vauxhall redtop arnt radical changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bulkhead, 4 linking and rack & pinion, coil overs plus engine are though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, colr6 said:

Bulkhead, 4 linking and rack & pinion, coil overs plus engine are though.

i was being sarcastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Anglias a long lost proto type from 1960 so modded before the date stipulated and bought from a bereaved owner...job done !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×