• Announcements

• Vista

Search Facility

Please note the existence of the Forum's Advanced Search Facility. It can be accessed from the search menu at the top right of the page, or from the link below   http://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/ipb/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums
    • Vista

Forum Update   23/07/17

Please note that we will shortly be updating the forum's operating software to the latest version. There may be some outages as this process happens and it'll take us a few days to get everything set up in full again. The update is now complete, please bear with us while we sort out all the other stuff that proves necessary after such a big update
PaulS

Estate Rear Coil Springs

Me again. I have some issues with the rear suspension on my kit, and I've been advised to swap the standard saloon rear coil springs for stiffer estate versions. Any recommendations for where to buy these. I've checked Burtonpower but I can't find estate versions. There are some on eBay but id be interested to know if anyone has tried them.

Have you tried any local motor factors to see if they can supply ?

17 minutes ago, RWL81P said:

coils or leafs?

Bit like the sign in that car park....NO EXIT !......read the original post....lol

2 minutes ago, colr6 said:

Bit like the sign in that car park....NO EXIT !......read the original post....lol

i missed the sign, much like i must of missed something here too? advised to swap the saloon rear coils for estate ones? thought they both have leafs. did i miss summat?

The NG Henley is Sierra/ Cortina based both which are on coil Spring rear.

1 minute ago, colr6 said:

The NG Henley is Sierra/ Cortina based both which are on coil Spring rear.

ah right, get ya. maybe it was a blonde moment, maybe it was not explained clear! lol

1 minute ago, RWL81P said:

ah right, get ya. maybe it was a blonde moment, maybe it was not explained clear! lol

I don't have blonde moments anymore mostly grey these days.....LOL

Local factors (in Swindon) coming up with Kilen springs, same as multiple online sellers, but at higher cost....

Am I right in thinking its on Sierra rear springs ?

On 10/9/2017 at 18:22, PaulS said:

Me again. I have some issues with the rear suspension on my kit, and I've been advised to swap the standard saloon rear coil springs for stiffer estate versions. Any recommendations for where to buy these. I've checked Burtonpower but I can't find estate versions. There are some on eBay but id be interested to know if anyone has tried them.

What are the issues?, whats the reason for advising to fit estate springs?, Kit cars are often much lighter than the donor car they were built with, which can possibly alter suspension / steering geometry, lots of kit cars are a harsh ride, bounce about and some get bump steer

if you just want a better ride I would suggest finding a friendly car racer and see if they will lend you their corner gauges to see what weights you have, then ask Burton or some of the rally shops for spring rate advice

Pete

The primary issue is that the rear axle is not held firmly enough. When torque applied, rear axle rotates so that the diff/drive shaft connection lifts, and in extreme cases smacks into or scrapes against the underside of the body tub. Its not a pleasent experience......

24 minutes ago, PaulS said:

The primary issue is that the rear axle is not held firmly enough. When torque applied, rear axle rotates so that the diff/drive shaft connection lifts, and in extreme cases smacks into or scrapes against the underside of the body tub. Its not a pleasent experience......

Is it on the Sierra type tube and diff ?

On 18/10/2017 at 17:02, PaulS said:

ok well i dont think no way are stiffer springs going to cure that, you need to fit ( torsion bars ) ( anti tramp rods / bars ) whatever you want to call them, steel rods / tubes with void bushes each end or one end with rose joint the other to make adjustable, usuall fit on top of axle and then run towards the front of the car and attatch to the side of the chassis rails

example pic shown

Pete

s-l1600.jpg

thanks guys. As mentioned previously, I’ve gone with the advice of a couple of NG Henley owners who had experienced the same problem. The estate springs (Kilen branded) seem to have cured the problem for now, if only because they are 2-3 inches longer than the springs that came off the car. While the car was on the ramp I was able to have a good look at a) the damage that had been caused, and (b) the rest of the suspension. Not pretty in either case. The UJ had been smashing into both the underside of the body tub and a rudimentary steel bracket for the handbrake cables. Big chunks out of both. The rear suspension bushes are also completely stuffed, which may be a contributing factor in the original problem. Next job.....