Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’m currently in the process of planning to convert my mk1 in to a Rally Car, the Car will mainly do tarmac stages and track days.

Is it a must that I should fit larger tubs and rear turrets? What are the advantages of doing this?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding rear tubs, all depends on what wheel/ tyre size you intend using. Fairly limited on standard arches. If your only doing Tarmac then ride height mag play a part in it. Turrets, if you fit large turrets it gives you the option at a later date for five linkingand fitting coil overs. Having turrets in allows the the shocker to be in its most effective position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poss your best option would be to use a smaller offset on the wheels, would be a shame to ruin what looks like a nice shell. A good addition would be a panard to reduce any side movement of axle and ensure it stays where it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great looking car , i would sort those shoxs out. The angle looks 45 degrees. Escorts are better with almost vertical ones .

Shame to rally it

Maybe different off set wheels or 7 inch with some spacers to stop it rubbing

Is that a Harris oil catch tank ?

Where are you in South Wales (roughly) , couple of us on here are from that neck of the woods - granted its a large area

Neil

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/11/2017 at 00:08, preacherman said:

Great looking car , i would sort those shoxs out. The angle looks 45 degrees. Escorts are better with almost vertical ones .

Shame to rally it

Maybe different off set wheels or 7 inch with some spacers to stop it rubbing

Is that a Harris oil catch tank ?

Where are you in South Wales (roughly) , couple of us on here are from that neck of the woods - granted its a large area

Neil

 

Near swansea. I have spacers fitted at the moment would taking them off stop the rubbing?

yeah catch tank was from Harris.

Whats my options for gettting the shocks more vertical?

Maybe I won’t rally it but keep it for track days 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a mk2 escort and I think the shox are not at this angle and more upright. I know on the mk1 escort the positioning of the shox changed from early to later cars.

I am running 6j minutes with 185 55 13 directional tyres. The handling has improved over the 175 70 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2017 at 20:20, preacherman said:

I have a mk2 escort and I think the shox are not at this angle and more upright. I know on the mk1 escort the positioning of the shox changed from early to later cars.

I am running 6j minutes with 185 55 13 directional tyres. The handling has improved over the 175 70 13

Thanks for the advice ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't really run 8" wheels on a standard mk1 shell without having rubbing problems. I'll wager to get them on at all you've had to fit stretched tyres over the rims (175/50/13 by any chance?) in which case you haven't really gained anything from the wider wheel as your tyre contact patch is the same as it would be if you fitted those tyres to a 6" rim.

As to works, I recommend Gary Martin of Gary Martin Motorsport in Essex, but that's a fair way from you. Have you tried the Escort Agency? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you considered refitting the axle housing bump stops?

Maybe having no bump stops is adding to the rubbing problem.

Also I know lowering the car looks cool. However usually the reduced height causes rubbing and handling issues with street vehicles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Vista said:

You can't really run 8" wheels on a standard mk1 shell without having rubbing problems. I'll wager to get them on at all you've had to fit stretched tyres over the rims (175/50/13 by any chance?) in which case you haven't really gained anything from the wider wheel as your tyre contact patch is the same as it would be if you fitted those tyres to a 6" rim.

As to works, I recommend Gary Martin of Gary Martin Motorsport in Essex, but that's a fair way from you. Have you tried the Escort Agency? 

Yes fitted 175/50/13 tyres.

 

ive just looked up Gary Martin and his work looks very good. I will contact him in the new year and see what he says ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you do realise once its been tubbed and generally cut about you wont be able to use it on the road/

It'll just need to be MoT'd rather than choosing to have it exempted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Great looking car , i would sort those shoxs out. The angle looks 45 degrees. Escorts are better with almost vertical ones .
Shame to rally it
Maybe different off set wheels or 7 inch with some spacers to stop it rubbing
Is that a Harris oil catch tank ?
Where are you in South Wales (roughly) , couple of us on here are from that neck of the woods - granted its a large area
Neil
 
The early Mk1's were all like that regarding the shocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know how a car looks to its owner is important (and I think wider wheels do look much better) but going around a track faster is better than going slowly but looking awesome! - just check out the racing Lotus Cortinas that ran on 13x5.5" wheels! 180+bhp too and they managed on slim wheels! Perhaps drop back fractionally on wheel size to give you more clearance and you might get away with a tyre with slightly less stretch that still clears the arches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, eeb43 said:

you do realise once its been tubbed and generally cut about you wont be able to use it on the road/

#NotTrue. :mrgreen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Vista said:

#NotTrue. 

really? so an altered monocoque wont need an iva test to be put on the road legally?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the rears are rubbed does not mean it needs iva test.loads of rally cars out there like it. If you spaceframe and shite then that's a different.

I think your escort is smart as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, eeb43 said:

really? so an altered monocoque wont need an iva test to be put on the road legally?

It's already on the road. All he will have to do is declare it modified. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so after what has been said and posted over the last few weeks nobody has actually read the regulations? the pages that were put up on here last paragraph page 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eeb43 said:

so after what has been said and posted over the last few weeks nobody has actually read the regulations? the pages that were put up on here last paragraph page 2

Why are you so doom and gloom?  Im not god but im pretty sure if he replaces a rotten inner wheel arch with a nice new one hes not going to need an iva test?  It was quite clear that  making safer or replacing parts with different ones that are un obtainable will not require that done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, khanlad said:

Why are you so doom and gloom?  Im not god but im pretty sure if he replaces a rotten inner wheel arch with a nice new one hes not going to need an iva test?  It was quite clear that  making safer or replacing parts with different ones that are un obtainable will not require that done. 

im not doom and gloom just wondering why everyone thinks that the rules dont apply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×