Fozzy48

Full respray

So today I've been considering a full respray on my Mk2 RS 2000.  It's needs some spraying done as the paint has shrunk on the roof and engine bay wants doing. Im having the engine out this winter, So after consideration along with other winter jobs I'm thinking about a full respray and colour change from white to burgundy red, or something like these. So who can recommend a good spray shop in the south yorkshire area at a reasonable cost. I will supply the car as a rolling chassis with glass out ready to prep and spray. I know you can't give me a price, but a ballpark figure is all I want. Me personally, was thinking £2500 would get it done

Thinking to end up like one of these.

Cheers. 

Fozzy

Screenshot_2017-11-13-21-09-18.png

Screenshot_2017-11-13-21-08-58.png

theres a lad works at MDZF BODYSHOP IN DONCASTER shit hot painter but can usually work to your budget right upto a concourse paintjob

The best thing you can do is see what people's work is like to get an idea of results pref 6/12 months after they've been done. A car can look great when freshly done, bit further down the line the bodge up underneath starts to show.

Cheers for the help so far lads. I did call at a local one today and he mentioned 5k+. I nearly dropped through the floor until he mentioned that, " there's loads of work to do, take engine out, interior, welding etc etc". I said he would be getting a rolling chassis ready to spray albeit not flatted back or leveled where needed. I do have to speak to the main man when he's back from holiday, but would still like more contacts. 

Cheers.

Fozzy

I sent mine to the painter fully stripped, shot blasted and etched. Underneath was painted by me and it was a little over 5k but on saying that there was 300 hrs in the shell. But there was a lot of panel work to do to make it right.

1 minute ago, colr6 said:

I sent mine to the painter fully stripped, shot blasted and etched. Underneath was painted by me and it was a little over 5k but on saying that there was 300 hrs in the shell. But there was a lot of panel work to do to make it right.

it'll never be right with a redtop! had a good weekend at nec?

2 minutes ago, RWL81P said:

it'll never be right with a redtop! had a good weekend at nec?

That was my Tina price, the box was £800 but was prepped by me. The weekend at NEC was an experience, yet to concoct a letter of complaint to traffic management !

7 minutes ago, colr6 said:

It's getting scary this respray job. It's not that I couldn't afford it, it's justifying 5k+ really.

Cheers. 

Fozzy

1 minute ago, colr6 said:

That was my Tina price, the box was £800 but was prepped by me. The weekend at NEC was an experience, yet to concoct a letter of complaint to traffic management !

cool hopefully i'll make it next year. going ireland to watch mk2 challenge rally next year. cant wait.

3 minutes ago, Fozzy48 said:

It's getting scary this respray job. It's not that I couldn't afford it, it's justifying 5k+ really.

Cheers. 

Fozzy

All depends on what the shell is like once into it and what level you want to take it to.

i dont think ya can beat the look of an arched mk2 in white. my mates is red and just been bare metaled, he's doing it red again but i keep saying to do it white.

Paint job on my van was inside and out, underneath and engine bay, including all prep (and some reassembly work on front doors) and it came to over £10k including materials. 

Oh and with values going the way they are these days, if white was the original colour, I'd probably not change it.

13 minutes ago, RWL81P said:

i dont think ya can beat the look of an arched mk2 in white. my mates is red and just been bare metaled, he's doing it red again but i keep saying to do it white.

Well the way the cost is looking I might end up leaving it white and just get my mate to do the roof and engine bay in my garage bud.

9 minutes ago, Vista said:

Paint job on my van was inside and out, underneath and engine bay, including all prep (and some reassembly work on front doors) and it came to over £10k including materials. 

Oh and with values going the way they are these days, if white was the original colour, I'd probably not change it.

10k, now I'm starting to feel faint. Remember I'm a yorkshire man and find it hard to deal with figures like that. :-D

Cheers.

Fozzy

2 minutes ago, RWL81P said:

gis a shout if ya struggle. i can spray.

You can spray?. Bloodyhell mate, that's handy to know, cheers.

Fozzy

its not my job, self tort. been a yorkshireman i'm tight so had to learn myself when i wanted a van spraying and was getting quotes of 4k.

I think I should start a business of bringing cars from UK to be repaired in Portugal.

To have an idea, the bodyshop where I usually paint the cars could make it for less than 3250£. This price includes transport from and to UK.

35 minutes ago, SLAKER said:

I think I should start a business of bringing cars from UK to be repaired in Portugal.

To have an idea, the bodyshop where I usually paint the cars could make it for less than 3250£. This price includes transport from and to UK.

Yeah, you might have got something there mate.

fozzy

5 hours ago, stephens_xpack said:

This white arched mk2 was at NEC, looks awesome i think.....8)

WP_20171111_12_43_06_Pro.jpg

Yeah, that's stunning mate. 

Well it's looking more like I'm keeping it white. 

Cheers.

Fozzy

original colour for mine is carnival red, but if i was to change the colour then it would have to go white, and not that modern frozen white either!

i don't normally comment, but I'm going to make an exception here

we all know, the further north you go, the tighter they get, and Colr6's phone is a classic example, however, look at his Cortina, he knows you have to shell out properly to have it done properly, if you don't, you will never be happy with the result, his car is stunning, and no other word for it

basically, you get what you pay for

if you have gone to all the effort of removing the engine and glass etc, then personally I would go the whole hog, bare shell it and blast it, I can guarantee you will find rust and allsorts you would never have believed there, if you overspray the original or even re-sprayed paint, you will have problems, if not now, in time, micro blistering is one main issue

re colour change, its your choice at the end of the day, but you have a wanted commodity, and as Scott says, unless its already had a colour change registered, its better to be original in todays market, and to be honest, done correctly, white can be just as stunning as any other colour

prices of 5-10k for it done properly are not out of the way, wilf in lincs (very well known) I was told today charges £15-20k now

as Colin says, look around at what other people have had done 12-24 months ago, and ask how much they paid

they say don't judge a book by its cover, however, people do, the spray job is the cars cover, the other problem is, that sometimes we don't want to get the cover dirty or damaged when we have paid a good wedge for it

I'm not an expert, just speaking from experience and about to take my 3rd car in for re-spray tomorrow, and just hoping my experiences help someone else