New Guidance rules for VHI finally announced

Kenbex522

1 hour ago, Mexican Gerbil said:

Doesn’t explain if I still want to MOT my car for personal safety reasons/insurance if the car will be still tax exempt 

Don't quote me...... but tax and MOT are two different animals, the former is Customs and Excise - the taxman, the latter DVLA / vehicle safety. The two are not interlinked or interdependent. If a car reaches 40 then it can become 'historic' and subject to zero tax rate, end of story. Whether it has been 'substantially modified' will determine if it requires an MOT or not. If you choose to MOT it for whatever reason, then you still can. If it has been 'substantially modified' then it is for the applicants conscience to declare it and get a ticket. But here's the rub - badly modified cars could be declared stock just to save £50 ......... IMO they should have just introduced a classic's limited MOT - chassis, suspension, brakes and steering only for everything over 40 years old!

• Like 1

they should just leave it as it was. every vehicle should have an MOT. costs about 40 quid and and for people that arent mechanically minded it tells them if its safe or needs any repairs! simple.
It is actually SIMPLE......don't need to fix what aint broke

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Well looking at it I doubt it made the min 8 points to keep its original identity. The bloke should have thought about that, as that is how many people have been getting caught out over the last few years. Remember the roof chopped Roller from a few years back as one high profile case?