Sign in to follow this  
lee 16 ghia

Pinto starter

Bypass the lot, good battery, jump leads straight onto starter. If it's still the same, the only two things you've got is either starter is dying or ring gear.

• Like 1

Some more good ideas.

Had a hour again today tried it and just click,

hot wired straight to starter and it turned over although slowly (battery must be had it). 

Quickly put battery back in boot and it turns over slowly just like when hot wiring. So i got jump leads into running car and it turns over normally now. Tried about 5 turns of the key and every turn sounded the same so that’s good. 

When I turned everything off afterwards I noticed I only put one earth lead back on the starter we’re before I had two? I missed the one to the cross member could this have been my problem?

so fingers crossed I think with a new battery it should be ok.

i still can’t get my head around that it would click on the key today but by hot wireing it turned over, and then put battery back in boot it turns over. 

Well that's good mate, at least it's looking like something and nothing. I think sometimes the more obvious something is the less likely you are to think of it. But with a few different suggestions on here it looks like you're sorted.

ATB.

Fozzy

Cheers to everyone for all the suggestions and hopefully it’s sorted, just wait for some better weather and get it going properly.

??

I had a very similar issue to yourself with lazy starting, even when connected to a jump pack. 

My results on test were a high current draw and slow lazy cranking and clicking.  Ended up renewing my starter and have not had an issue since. 

Going by your symptoms, you've had the same issues as I had and your old battery readings seemed OK to me. 

Think I got my high torque starter from AP Oldham, on eBay. Good price and good service. 

does it turn over after bumping off as it could still be the starter. i bought a brise starter for mine as they are supposed to be the bees knees. had problems from day 1 with it and it eventually packed in. we dug out an old metro starter and if turns over great. been there though when my battery was in boot. changed cable to fine strand welding cable,new cut off switch,cleaned all earths,had a 9v winding put into starter motor and bingo....it still turned over shite. was very high compression with an inertia starter though. could the starter need moving out slightly to engage with the ring gear better by burring out the top hole?

Just got back in from the garage, I’ve just tried jump leads from the starter to neg post on battery - still clicks.

jump lead to engine block from starter still clicks.

tried jump lead from pos terminal to starter nut - still clicks

finally jump lead from starter to right hand side of cut off switch - turns over slowly but it turns (this was the reason why I bought a high torque starter but at the moment the old one was fitted to rule out a dodgy new one)

so I removed the lead that goes from the cuy off switch to the starter, it looked fine but once I stripped back the insulation to see the the copper the end nearest starter had changed colour (silverish) and pretty much fell to peices in my hand. I’ve got no idea what’s happened here I’ve never seen copper cable go like this?

the lead is thick I think it was 35/40mm2 approx 1150mm long and the terminals looked good also. So this is looking like the problem I’m going to order some new cable with terminals and hopefully this will sort it out.

I had something very similar to this. Battery in the boot. I would get one go at a start then click and random readings from my multimeter. Tracked it down to the earth from the battery box to bioot floor. The actual cable looked perfectly intact but had a massive resistance. Swapped out and bingo, all good. I have also heard that if the coil/ignition system is a bit flaky, that draws so much current to generate a spark it leaves nothing for the starter. This kills the battery in no time. Hopefully you have it sorted now, been there with your scenario and it's incerdibly frstrating.

• Like 1