Sign in to follow this  
Mexican Gerbil

Crossflow woes

Problems happened shortly after the car was tuned. On my way to Pure Ford and Castle Combe I was struggling with power and a slight misfire. 

Managed to get to the stand and set about visually diagnosing the problems. Limited tools to hand we noticed the dizzy cap was a bit loose and rotor arm a bit dirty. This was fixed and engine seemed to idle ok. Under load it was still awful. 

Decided to see how far we could get but didn’t get too far, temperature went up a lot in the space of a few minutes. Pulled over and decided to get recovered.

AA man decided just to take the car home on his dolly thing.

once home a carried out a compression test as engine would still turn over freely but no longer start. All low but cylinder 3 had next to nothing. Time for bed.

Next day the head was removed to reveal a valve set had become unseated and kept the valve open. The piston shows no signs of damage. Head gasket shows sign of a leak between cylinders 2-3.

Head is now at a local engineer works for rectification. 

662BF2AC-69D8-4777-B718-3893F6ECCF26.jpeg

C3F9951E-53E3-4A1F-AE29-2AD08AB49A7E.jpeg

8174009C-6972-490D-82E3-3C8F0E578B10.jpeg

27CC7290-816F-4BA8-94F9-5EB922ADAE9A.jpeg

I had the same thing happen to my cossie head, made a right mess of it, was certain that it was an expensive metal ornament until i spoke to a bloke from maynard engines at the nec classic show. Showed him a picture and cool as anything said yeah we can fix that, couple of hrs work.... happy days

• Like 1

Glad to hear it's a relatively simple fix Chris. 

Do seats let go like this often? Did you have the hardened seats fitted or did they come with the head when you bought it? Are you going to fit a new head or put another set of seats in that same head?

9 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Do seats let go like this often? Did you have the hardened seats fitted or did they come with the head when you bought it? Are you going to fit a new head or put another set of seats in that same head?

No idea how often. These where only put in 36 months ago. Had the head converted to unleaded. They shrink them with liquid nitrogen and fit them. Once they get warm again then that’s it. Well that should be it. So either the head got so hot the seat fell out or they fitted a faulty seat. Done around 6000 miles of mix driving. By which I mean some hard and some pottering about. 

Same head going back on. 

its those little rodents in there eating away at it :-D

18 hours ago, Ray said:

its those little rodents in there eating away at it :-D

Ha ha or those metal bugs :-D managed to convince an apprentice once that all the pitting on a bit of metal was caused by metal bugs eating away at it like wood worm ha ha ha 

Got my head back. All shiny and skimmed with new seats and guides. Started to put it all back together. Tappets Set so hopefully tomorrow it will start. 

3E4B2EF5-F861-4AC2-976C-3D318416BBD8.jpeg

007FB9D9-8216-4246-8A4D-0F31B403B428.jpeg

• Like 1

That was turned round quick for you, did they give an explanation why the seat fell out ?

8 hours ago, colr6 said:

That was turned round quick for you, did they give an explanation why the seat fell out ?

No they didn’t, He was more interested in my Sierra.  But looking on the internet, if my gasket had gone and generated enough heat in the head, that might have caused it.

She’s running again. So far I had to replace the leads as 1 was not working. All plugs were renewed. New dizzy cap. Along with the head work and gaskets it’s been a problem I could have done without. Need to re torque the head and adjust tappets. Booking the tuners tomorrow........

8631D174-5C99-4FF2-AF2D-2F80B2FAFA75.jpeg

Sounds like the end us in sight though Chris?

Good work and sounds like you're back on track. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mexican Gerbil said:

Every electriconic dizzy I’ve had has gone wrong. Can’t trust them 

Have tried a lumenition kit?

1 hour ago, Mexican Gerbil said:

Every electriconic dizzy I’ve had has gone wrong. Can’t trust them 

Seems you can't trust points either! They require maintenance too - that's why they got replaced with leccy sparks - people got lazy!

2 minutes ago, katana said:

Seems you can't trust points either! They require maintenance too - that's why they got replaced with leccy sparks - people got lazy!

Checking the point gap wasn’t high up on my list of things to check when I wasn’t getting compression due to a seat falling out of the head. But as I wasn’t get a spark last night but was earlier in the week I noticed the point problem. 

Agreed with proper maintenance they are just as reliable.