Sign in to follow this  
murfeey

Wiring help

Got a couple of issues!

Firstly .type 9 gearbox reverse light switch.car came with a 5 speed gbox .switch fitted and a round plug.

In passenger side of my car I found a brown wire coming from the loom from rear of car.i thought it was an earth so put it to seat cross member .there is a tapped hole.

The reverse lights came on.so I know they work .now on the switch plug I have 2 wires .black and black blue.ive connected the brown wire to black blue the other to earth .nothing then swapped out the other way round still no lights.does the ignition have to be on for them to wrk .with car running. Or just the ignition as not getting nothing cheers

The switch in the box is just a switch, i.e open or closed circuit. You shoukd be able to connect the wire you have to one terminal and run a wire to earth from the other terminal. 

When you put it in reverse the switch closes and the circuit through the switch is made to earth.......and reverse lights come on.

I think the switch has had it as swapped wiring around twice.brown yo.one side then the other to earth.vice versa

Cheers murf

53 minutes ago, murfeey said:

I think the switch has had it as swapped wiring around twice.brown yo.one side then the other to earth.vice versa

Cheers murf

What happens when you touch the 2 wires together. Do the reverse lights come on? 

The ignition has to be on for lights to work - why would you want them to work any other time ? If you have connected the switch up both ways with no working lights then it's probably the switch is fubar'd. Easy check is put a meter set to ohms across both switch wires to see if there is continuity in neutral and with stick in reverse - if there is then your earth connection is suspect.

Cheers fella .my cars an import and loom has been messed about quite a bit.bits cut out plugs missing. Found the switch wire buried under the underlay passenger side floor .pmug was in boot.testing switch in morning.

Cheers murf