Sign in to follow this  
murfeey

Brake pad question

Fitting pads that came with my disc kit tday.inside the pad box are 4 sticky pads you have to stick to rear of each pad.when I refit them do i still fit the steel shims too ?Or leave out.

Cheers murf

I have never come across sticky pads with brake pads, surely they would melt. Leave them out and use the steel shims as usual.

Paul

They probably serve as anti vibration/squeal pads.

As sead ^^^ id try the originals 1st

pads are ebc greens,came in the box.never come across them before,instructions say to stick on the rear where marked,thought about the heat too.do the metal plates act as anti squeal too.

cheers murf.

Yeh, thats what they're for.

Never heard of them helping with heat dispursing.

A lot of modern day pads have a backing bonded to the rear for anti- squeal, the old days it's the metal shim that's does it with a smear of gold grease.

4 minutes ago, colr6 said:

A lot of modern day pads have a backing bonded to the rear for anti- squeal, the old days it's the metal shim that's does it with a smear of gold grease.

Dont tell me the modern plastics cant even handle a thin bit of metal in their brake set up? :pointandlaugh: hahaha

4 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Dont tell me the modern plastics cant even handle a thin bit of metal in their brake set up? :pointandlaugh: hahaha

It's cheaper, like the rest of the car....lol

• Haha 1

On 07/06/2018 at 19:25, murfeey said:

Fitting pads that came with my disc kit tday.inside the pad box are 4 sticky pads you have to stick to rear of each pad.when I refit them do i still fit the steel shims too ?Or leave out.

Cheers murf

My Cortina's EBC pads came with these. I just followed the instructions - trimmed them and stuck them on. No problems with them, even though at one point the brakes got hot enough to melt the powder coat on the wheels and hubs  (lesson learned there about powder-coating wheels!)