Sign in to follow this  
Mexican Gerbil

Brakes or the lack of.

It’s about time I come clean and share my issues with my brakeing system. They are rubbish. 

What I have. A 0.625 master cylinder at the pedal, girling mk2b remote servo, rear shoes with standard cylinders, front m16 calipers with spacers for vented discs. All these are either new or refurbished. All new pipe work.

For many years I’ve had this problem which feels like I have air in the system. If I pump the brakes the pedal goes rock hard and stays hard. When I lift the pedal and leave for a few seconds the pedal will drop about half distance before any resistance, sometimes to the floor. Which would suggest air in the system?

I’ve had the master apart and renewed all the seals, the servo was sent away and overhauled at great expense. There are no leaks in the system and the level in the reservoir remains constant. 

We spent 2 hours last night bleeding the system. No better. Why? Help....

See if you can localise where the problem is by using a brake clamp on a flexi pipe, try rear flexi first and see if the pedal improves then try a clamp on n/s/f then on o/s/f. There will be some slight improvement as you losing one moving part, but if the pedal has a vast difference that's where your problem lies. One of the biggest problems apart from air in the system is worn rear drums in conjunction with incorrectly adjusted shoes.

• Like 2

Ive got a remote servo on mine, wilwood 4 pots on front and disc on the rear, there feels like a delay between pressing and coming on, its fractions of a second, but in that time youve thought, oh, a bit of wee has come out and pressed harder, and again coming off the pedal. Ive bled them, ezzibled them, and vacuumed them, no air, still not confidence inspiring, but they do stop you, and do lock up. Ive got two cylinders, .625 and .725, swapped them front and back, now getting to the stage where i remove servo to see what that does? Doesnt help at all mate but at least you know youre not alone! 

• Like 1

I think your Master Cylinder is too small. Standard spec for Twincams with the same remote servo, P16 calipers and disk size that is identical to early Mexicos uses a 0.750 master. I have only seen the small .625s used with balance bars as a pair.

Factory Ford Manual

TCMaster.jpg.29aca528ab186f06d23b370557122826.jpg

Even the Clutch Master is 0.70 which is bigger than what you are using.

I would start with a change to 0.75in and go from there.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mexican Gerbil said:

On a modern car if the engine doesn’t run the brake pedal goes rock hard until the engine starts. I don’t get that so is it a servo issue? 

I doubt its the servo from what youve sead.

Id also look at the master cylinder situation 1st.

• Like 1