Duncanoakes

Should my mk2 have a header tank

Sorry to ask the ignorant question 

I’ve got a mk2 , been under a dust sheet for ages and I don’t know a great deal about it

ive done a few posts on here 18 months ago when I bought it

anyway. It’s a mk2 rally car, started life as a 1.6 sport but now has a 2.0 pinto 

there is no header tank for the coolant system. Is that correct?

slight leak on the radiator that I need to sort out by want to sure I’ve got the basic set up correct

its also had the pipes removed from the heater which is a little inconvienient !!!

any knowledge would be greatly received 

Hi you don’t have a header tank the radiator has a header built in and filled via the cap, as for the heater it’s probably disconnected because the matrix leaks

If you have a normal top fill rad then you don't need a header tank, is the heater still in but disconnected or no heater

Thanks both

the Heater is still there but fans also don’t seem to work. Haven’t ever had chance to investigate

anyone reputable about to carry out repairs

or do I just wire hair driers under the dash board?

I’m also sure if I’m not mistaken that the radiator filler cap had a small overflow pipe coming out of the side

its an aftermarket ally radiator 

I like the idea of hair driers lol , have a look on eBay should find a decent Replacement heater

If you can find the two wires which go to the heater motor. One Is feed one earth put a battery or 12 volt supply and see if the motor works before pulling the heater out. Same goes for the water, pipe it up and see what happens.

8 minutes ago, Xp197777 said:

Yep that’s a overflow  standard top fill rad that’s fine 

Thanks. On the hand full of times I’ve driven it there has been evidence of water from the overflow. And the engine didn’t appear to be running excessively hot. Does that suggest the caps knackered or maybe Rad is overfilled 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, colr6 said:

If you can find the two wires which go to the heater motor. One Is feed one earth put a battery or 12 volt supply and see if the motor works before pulling the heater out. Same goes for the water, pipe it up and see what happens.

Logical approach. I’ll give that a whirl 

1 hour ago, Duncanoakes said:

Thanks. On the hand full of times I’ve driven it there has been evidence of water from the overflow. And the engine didn’t appear to be running excessively hot. Does that suggest the caps knackered or maybe Rad is overfilled 

You still have to leave a bit of free space in the radiator for expansion of the hot coolant, so possibly overfilled. 

Heater might be capped off if your inlet manifold has been changed and doesn't have a coolant connection.