Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
stephens_xpack

NEC Classic car show - November 8/11th - ANY TAKERS ?

Recommended Posts

Ladies and gents - Looking for 3 or 4 cars to come along with myself to show at the NEC this November from Thursday 8th through to Sunday 11th.

Just testing the waters really. Popeye, after many years of running an OSF stand at the NEC motor show, this year has asked if I fancied taking it on as I (think) I mentioned that I wouldn't mind taking it on, at least for this year anyway, and although it is Gary's spot, I agree with him that it should still be used to spread the OSF word and show a little selection of some of our cars on an OSF stand.

Depending on how many takers there are, I varied selection of cars would be nice, and the cars to do themselves justice should be in good nick at least.

I think last year volunteers for the show were low, it is 4 days, but it is good fun if you like being part of one of the biggest indoor classic car shows around - 2500 cars on show, this would suit.

It was good fun in 2017, 4 cars is a good number, allows ample room for a good stand, but we could squeeze in 5, I think the stand allows 6 but that would be tight.

Now heres the thing.

Last time I drove as I do not have a trailer, and I quite like the drive to be honest. but the amount of kit used to create the stand needs at least one person who will take their car on a trailer that is towed preferably by a decent sized van so the van could be used to carry the equipment to the show?

It is either that or split the equipment 4/5 ways, could probably fit a quarter in each car, would have to run that by Popeye as he will know exactly how much space it all takes up.

Please let me know if you fancy taking part in this, either here or via pm....

PS.. I know you said no to this year Ray, but what about showing that gorgeous purple thing you have built?....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stephens_xpack said:

Ladies and gents - Looking for 3 or 4 cars to come along with myself to show at the NEC this November from Thursday 8th through to Sunday 11th.

Just testing the waters really. Popeye, after many years of running an OSF stand at the NEC motor show, this year has asked if I fancied taking it on as I (think) I mentioned that I wouldn't mind taking it on, at least for this year anyway, and although it is Gary's spot, I agree with him that it should still be used to spread the OSF word and show a little selection of some of our cars on an OSF stand.

Depending on how many takers there are, I varied selection of cars would be nice, and the cars to do themselves justice should be in good nick at least.

I think last year volunteers for the show were low, it is 4 days, but it is good fun if you like being part of one of the biggest indoor classic car shows around - 2500 cars on show, this would suit.

It was good fun in 2017, 4 cars is a good number, allows ample room for a good stand, but we could squeeze in 5, I think the stand allows 6 but that would be tight.

Now heres the thing.

Last time I drove as I do not have a trailer, and I quite like the drive to be honest. but the amount of kit used to create the stand needs at least one person who will take their car on a trailer that is towed preferably by a decent sized van so the van could be used to carry the equipment to the show?

It is either that or split the equipment 4/5 ways, could probably fit a quarter in each car, would have to run that by Popeye as he will know exactly how much space it all takes up.

Please let me know if you fancy taking part in this, either here or via pm....

PS.. I know you said no to this year Ray, but what about showing that gorgeous purple thing you have built?....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops, didn' mean to do that.

I would be up for it but I'm not sure my car is up to show standard. It's far from a rotter but I don't know what you expect for a show like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Munch.

PM me some decent pics. Cars don't have to be concours, but a lot of motors there are.

Mine isn't perfect, but she held her own so didn't look out of place.

I will give an honest opinion - cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, stephens_xpack said:

PM me some decent pics. Cars don't have to be concours, but a lot of motors there are.

 

True, most cars are in very nice condition. But it is often the wreck of a car, pre-restoration or whatever that gets the most interest from people. You can get desensitised to row after row of beautiful cars. Last year there was a Fiat Panda 4x4 painted in army green and absolutely covered in mud. Looked good and got interest.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Danish said:

 

True, most cars are in very nice condition. But it is often the wreck of a car, pre-restoration or whatever that gets the most interest from people. You can get desensitised to row after row of beautiful cars. Last year there was a Fiat Panda 4x4 painted in army green and absolutely covered in mud. Looked good and got interest.

 

That is so true a statement. Even here on the forum people will get a few nice compliments when they post images of beautiful complete quality finished cars but its the restoration threads that create more interest and get ten times the responses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Danish said:

 

True, most cars are in very nice condition. But it is often the wreck of a car, pre-restoration or whatever that gets the most interest from people. You can get desensitised to row after row of beautiful cars. Last year there was a Fiat Panda 4x4 painted in army green and absolutely covered in mud. Looked good and got interest.

 

has to be women that were looking at it, men wouldn't get gooey over a panda, theyd shoot it

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ahh sorry you meant a car, was that in the auto jumble then

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do get that it takes all sorts, and like shows that show all sorts, just saying the majority at the NEC are a very good standard.

I was worried that my motor would be well out of its league, but a bit of spit and polish and she held her own I think.

I would just hate for someone to turn up with their car, and wished that they hadn't.

As long as it is old skool Ford, and it is half tidy, and you can defo commit to the 4 days, you are pretty much in.

First come first served type basis I think, otherwise it will be panic stations or I will have to ask outside of this forum, and I would rather not.

At the moment, I think we have Capri, and mk1 Escort - another few motors would be great - Munch, you still interested? If so pm me a few pics - sure the RS will be great.

I will post some pics on here of our stand on last years show so you can get a rough idea of how we were set up, the motors etc,etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a few pics of our cars from last November, gives you a rough idea of how we set up - nothing over the top, just some posts and bunting to keep peeps at arms length, some stands to give a bit of info about the cars, and a gazebo at one end where we all sat and took the piss out of each other, well they sat, I wandered - but this time have promised to do my bit for the stand......tbc...:mrgreen:

Was in process of packing away here, so not all here, but you get the idea.

 

nec col car.JPG

nec kel car.JPG

nec popeye car.JPG

nec ray motor.JPG

rear nec shot.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think, if I remember correctly, Gary told us last year that the NEC requirement and / or the deal he done to get in there, for that stand, was that the cars had to be of a reasonably good standard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stephens_xpack said:

a few pics of our stand from last November, gives you a rough idea of how we set up - nothing over the top, just some posts and bunting to keep peeps at arms length, some stands to give a bit of info about the cars, and a gazebo at one end where we all sat and took the piss out of each other, well they sat, I wandered - but this time have promised to do my bit for the stand......tbc...:mrgreen:

 

nec col car.JPG

nec kel car.JPG

nec popeye car.JPG

nec ray motor.JPG

rear nec shot.JPG

where did you get those photos from, you weren't there long enough to take those, and they've been photo shopped, Gary has a 3 wheeler

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you can see Ray, we were packing away when I took those....:mrgreen:

Still don't know how he managed to sneak a 3 wheeler in.

Col reckons any photo of the Crapi was photo shopped so I could add the sparkle...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this photo shopping going on,.....Gary having an extra wheel..,...Kellye with a paint job with a twinkle. ...the next one will be Kellye in the stand tent!!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, stephens_xpack said:

It's all about angles, event more twinkle in this shot....:thumbsup:

 

nec twinkle pic.JPG

Didn't know the roof leaked🤔 Good job your car was under it to take advantage of it....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

youre gonna have to get better at that photo shop lark, what you do is turn a dull white crapri into this, and add a wheel

1859964889_necpopeyecar_thumb_JPG_9b581335bbafd9168f217106c7d5943f.jpg.ef5b18e5a8e342fc3d30b6b072093fe8.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

look at that, Gary even had a towing hook fitted ready for the occasion, and a spacer made to get those jacks under

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got mop, compound, polish, and wax. by the time November is here again Ray, she's gonna dazzle ya, so you'll be blind as well as deaf...:mrgreen:

Gonna miss the Northern monkey this time around........not much, obviously - but I will miss him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what are you gonna do clean the floor with your mop n polish then

you weren't there enough to miss him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, I was the Scarlet pimp - but not this time.

Just need 3 more motors. Gary only in Romford, I will arrange to grab all the gear closer to the time and then deliver to you, if you definitely up for doing it all again and happy to take it?

You need to do it again, the people wanting to talk to you about the 1300e was nuts, went down very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ray said:

look at that, Gary even had a towing hook fitted ready for the occasion, and a spacer made to get those jacks under

DONT mention the jacks!! Gary is nearly suisidal already without adding insult to injury.....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Danish said:

 

True, most cars are in very nice condition. But it is often the wreck of a car, pre-restoration or whatever that gets the most interest from people. You can get desensitised to row after row of beautiful cars. Last year there was a Fiat Panda 4x4 painted in army green and absolutely covered in mud. Looked good and got interest.

 

Hello Danish. Are you going with the Cortina gang again this November?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×