Sign in to follow this  
Rally Pack 2000

Using Vernier Pulley with Standard Pinto Camshaft.

Having tidied up the Engine bay and fitting newly ceramic coated manifolds and powder coating the cam cover and brake tower etc, the old original grey cam pulley  (with various paint oversprays) from 1979 is looking a bit drab and untidy. Back in the 80s when I had intentions of modifying this car I purchased a kent steel vernier pulley for it. Since I have it just sitting there I though why not fit that even though the camshaft is just standard. The load spreading washers match the ones on the struts tops etc so it would even blend in. Its just effectively a shiny bit to replace the original. But something is niggling at that the back of my mind that I might be forgetting something important. Is there any operational issues using a vernier pulley on a standard engine that I possibly havent considered? There is this voice in my head that is nagging me not to do this for some inexplicable reason?

KentVernier.thumb.jpg.38c01b85d7aa5c0e4e4c4666b7058875.jpg

• Like 1

None whatsoever, Apart from you will a dial gauge and a protractor to set it up correctly.

• Like 1

As Col says, no issues and fairly straightforward. 

I think I've got some timing discs on my PC in work I made last year. If you give me the details of your cam at full lift on number 1, I can probably customise  it for you. These are fairly good to use as they can be printed out to different sizes for different size Pulleys. I'll mail it you then for printing. CDs are good for sticking or laser burning to. 

I was thinking about doing one for a crank pulley to get printed as a sticker. Then either clear lacquer it, or clear hydro dip. 

Oddly enough, I did a set of Kent Cams yesterday on a Zetec for a lad and only took one timing disc with me. Could have done with another, as cam dwell was surprisingly large on both cams. 

• Like 1

I had similar reservations, so I set my vernier pulley at 0˚ and fitted it, then had my rolling road tuner set it up - so I did most of the work he just did the clever bit.

14 minutes ago, Danish said:

I had similar reservations, so I set my vernier pulley at 0˚ and fitted it, then had my rolling road tuner set it up - so I did most of the work he just did the clever bit.

Im glad I not the only one I was thinking I was being overly paranoid. May have something to do with everything going a*se up with the car the past few weeks. Its starting to get at me.

The old Kent Steel Vernier doesn't have any markings on it to really set it at anything LOL. I was just going to make sure the holes on the front section and the backing perfectly aligned for visual reasons and place the pulley on the key at the exact same place the key is on the old pulley.