Rally Pack 2000

Powder Coating Mk2 Door Handles

Im considering ways to re-powder coat the door handles black. I have found that painting them is too soft so would like to reinstate the finish off them as original that I believe was powder coated. The handles themselves will go through the process fine but its when you come to the lock barrel itself that may cause problems. The front cap of the barrel that the key goes through and the only black piece is pressed on. To powder coat this part would require the whole barrel with tumblers to go through the heat process. These are brass with tiny springs inside. What do you guys think? Would it work or destroy the barrel mechanism?

I would consider going to chrome handles just to avoid this if I could find a decent set LOL

Not saying this is fact but powder coating wasn't widely used back in the 70's if at all! I suspect these items were enamelled similar process and quite hard finish. Powder could be done but i've noticed it always tends to be thicker than 'paint' and with door handles there are a few close fits! The pieces would have been individually painted to avoid uncovered 'shadows' 

• Like 1

You could use a paint like the "tough black" we have in the UK - it could just be marketing, but it does seem a better paint than the regular stuff.

Also, baking in an oven might help. I've been meaning for a while to pick up a second hand kitchen oven to go in the workshop for baking paint. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, katana said:

Not saying this is fact but powder coating wasn't widely used back in the 70's if at all! I suspect these items were enamelled similar process and quite hard finish. Powder could be done but i've noticed it always tends to be thicker than 'paint' and with door handles there are a few close fits! The pieces would have been individually painted to avoid uncovered 'shadows' 

You may well be right. I always thought they were anodised through the years but was told that it was to thick for that and most likely powder coated. I thought the finish was also too fine a finish for early powder coating but that was the only thing anyone could think it was. I hadn't thought of enamelling. I also always assumed it was the same coating as the black bumpers only thicker though. I couldn't see them enamelling a whole bumper though. Ford were too cheap for that. Modern hard powder coating is all I can come up with though as a replacement. Im just worried by the baking process and if it will damage the tumblers or not. Also as you say too it is thick but so too is whatever the original stuff is except for the lock barrel where its very thin and goes translucent with age. There is the option to ceramic coat them which is a bit thinner but I noted in their colour range it wasn't as dark a black as it needs to be.

Talking to a guy this morning and he suggested anodising. 

• Like 1

I've had a fair few parts powder coated and it is very thick.  The guy who does my work wouldn't do my petrol filler cap due to the key barrel, so he sprayed it instead.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, colr6 said:

Talking to a guy this morning and he suggested anodising. 

I had originally investigated anodising but it seems a bit of a dying art with not many places available to do it. The ones I spoke to catered more for larger commercial jobs than a few small car parts. I will keep looking though now that you have said that.

3 hours ago, dt36 said:

I've had a fair few parts powder coated and it is very thick.  The guy who does my work wouldn't do my petrol filler cap due to the key barrel, so he sprayed it instead.

Once you pull them apart into the three major parts that need colouring the thickness of the powder coating shouldn't affect it to much at least not on the handle parts. The lock barrel is a tight fit but the coating is really only on the end cap and if masked to the same extent as original it shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.

I seriously am considering chrome ones now!

take the lock mechanism out and bung the hole with something like plastercine or tape it from the inside. the round lock cover could just be painted.

I've had Pulleys and components with gasket faces powder coated. They just tape them up for the bits they don't want covering. 

I'm guessing the PC oven temps may bake any grease in the lock tumblers - i'd take the lock out if possible. Anodising on castings can be a bit 'hit & miss' but likely a bit spendy for a couple of handles?

11 minutes ago, katana said:

I'm guessing the PC oven temps may bake any grease in the lock tumblers - i'd take the lock out if possible. Anodising on castings can be a bit 'hit & miss' but likely a bit spendy for a couple of handles?

Thats a good point. It may pay to flush the lock out first.

The locks would come out regardless but its the lock part though that needs something more than just painting. It chips within weeks with keys jabbing into it so a hard coating of some sort is in order. The rears will work well without having any lock barrel.