Backfiredave

Front Strut insert replacement

I need to change  my front struts as the Wiltshire lanes have taken there toll and mine have started to weep oil (they are standard 38 year old !!)

I noticed you can now just get inserts (back in the day we used to just change the whole strut !!)

How easy a job is it to remove the old inserts ect ? Do they just unscrew

Are Bilstein still the best option or are there cheaper one that are Ok ?

I remember doing something similar to a car back years ago and we filled the strut with 50% anti freeze/water mix !!

It's just a case of removing the collar at the top of the strut to get the insert out. I have GAZ adjustable inserts in mine and they are spot on.

Motorsport tools £210 plus postage. Check their postage might be able to save a bit more.

perhaps im just unlucky, every mk1 one ive taken apart, you need to destroy the collar nut to get it undone, only to find they aren't the insert type and you cant get the guts out either for whatever reason, and you end up smothered in oil lol

Got AVO shocks all round on my car.  Work really well and keep the car feeling stable. 

Come with a new top nut also.

For a South African car I wouldn't be buying anything off the net without trying the product in person first. Australian and South African cars had a locally sourced strut slightly different to their European counterparts. One example is that Australian struts have integral steering arms and smaller hub bearing but have the larger RS spring platforms. I would take a disassembled strut and removed components to a retail suspension supplier before committing to any brand. I used to find that Bilsteins inserts (not to be confused with the Capri 2.8 type) were a very tight fit yet the Koni sports had a smaller diameter tube that was more forgiving to different strut types. Its more than likely one of the inserts designed for European struts will work, its just not a given that all will fit and will be dependant on the brand and its unique specification.