Where my car came from?

Munch

When I bought my car I got no history with it except for some receipts and a couple of photocopied V5's. The guy was a dealer who bought it from someone who bought it from an auction. One of the receipts happened to have a mobile number of the previous owner who I rang and all he could tell me was the man that he bought the car from was ill which is why he sold the car and he would forward a folder full of pictures and receipts to him which he never did. I had this persons address so I wrote to him. His wife emailed me and unfortunately he had died the next year and she had not seen any folder and had no idea of the cars history. 

The following week after receiving this email I went to the Battlesbridge classic Ford show and another RS pulled up opposite me with exactly the same number plate as mine but with an extra number! Mine ends 66S and his ends with 686S, I couldn't quite believe it. It got me thinking about trying to find out where my car was first registered especially when he told me that he thinks his car was from Essex, so what with the new GDPR rules does anybody know how I can find out where my car was first sold? I don't want to know who bought it, just where it was first registered.

Thanks

• Like 1

I can remember as a kid when we went on holiday traveling up and down the country seeing where all the cars came from by their registration. All the info was in the back of an AA members book. Don't know if they still do it? Mind you they don't salute you when go past now either!!!.....lol

• 1 month later...

When I first bought my RS (about 13 years ago) I applied to the DVLA using a form and paying £5 and they sent me all the old logbooks and details of all the old owners which was so interesting, however, I don't think you can do this any more - perhaps to do with the GDRP laws that are now in place?  Shame really as it was great.

• 3 years later...
On 25/09/2018 at 20:21, Munch said:

When I bought my car I got no history with it except for some receipts and a couple of photocopied V5's. The guy was a dealer who bought it from someone who bought it from an auction. One of the receipts happened to have a mobile number of the previous owner who I rang and all he could tell me was the man that he bought the car from was ill which is why he sold the car and he would forward a folder full of pictures and receipts to him which he never did. I had this persons address so I wrote to him. His wife emailed me and unfortunately he had died the next year and she had not seen any folder and had no idea of the cars history. 

The following week after receiving this email I went to the Battlesbridge classic Ford show and another RS pulled up opposite me with exactly the same number plate as mine but with an extra number! Mine ends 66S and his ends with 686S, I couldn't quite believe it. It got me thinking about trying to find out where my car was first registered especially when he told me that he thinks his car was from Essex, so what with the new GDPR rules does anybody know how I can find out where my car was first sold? I don't want to know who bought it, just where it was first registered.

Thanks

Hi, I owned the car in the early 90s, I nearly bought it back from the guy you did, cool to see it again 😊

• Like 3

20 hours ago, LolHare said:

Hi, I owned the car in the early 90s, I nearly bought it back from the guy you did, cool to see it again 😊

Hello LolHare

That's amazing to hear from someone that previously owned my car. Do you have any pictures you can post?

I will be up your way at some point this year at a local car show, you might like to come and reminisce! I would certainly like to hear some stories about it. I have a few questions i'd like answering as well.

• Like 3