Cortina Atlas Rear Axle (MK3, 4, 5)

4 hours ago, colr6 said:

Did a bit of checking last night and the axle you want is either out of an estate or 2.3 v6. These are the ones that are h/ duty

Thanks Colr6. Very helpful. Other than checking half shaft splines/diameters do t suppose you know what external clues there are between a heavy and light duty Atlas?

4 minutes ago, RSchofield said:

Thanks Colr6. Very helpful. Other than checking half shaft splines/diameters do t suppose you know what external clues there are between a heavy and light duty Atlas?

the diff cover and the pinion nut on the atlas version is mostly protruding from the flange

5 hours ago, RSchofield said:

I understand that the p100 uses a Borg Warner axle, so I would struggle to get the ratio (3.09) I am after, unless someone knows otherwise.

sierra shape p100 is an atlas cortina shape is no use for anything

14 hours ago, eeb43 said:

sierra shape p100 is an atlas cortina shape is no use for anything

It's a minefield this axle search. Can you explain what the issue is with the Atlas Sierra P100? Does it have the mounts on the Pig Head and can it accept a Capri diff?

This is what I understand so far then about the Cortina axle varieties:

·         Cortina Banjo = English (No good in terms of strength and ratio options that I need)

·         Koln (Looks like an Atlas but with unequal bolt pattern) = (No good in terms of strength, LSD option or ratio options that I need)

·         Cortina Atlas Light Duty (As fitted to V6/Estate) - Has longer and narrower half shafts with more splines (22 I think) = No LSD option 

·         Cortina Based P100 = Borg Warner (won’t accept a Capri Diff)

·         Sierra Based P100 = Atlas (Don’t know anything else about it)

9 hours ago, RSchofield said:

It's a minefield this axle search. Can you explain what the issue is with the Atlas Sierra P100? Does it have the mounts on the Pig Head and can it accept a Capri diff?

This is what I understand so far then about the Cortina axle varieties:

·         Cortina Banjo = English (No good in terms of strength and ratio options that I need)

·         Koln (Looks like an Atlas but with unequal bolt pattern) = (No good in terms of strength, LSD option or ratio options that I need)

·         Cortina Atlas Light Duty (As fitted to V6/Estate) - Has longer and narrower half shafts with more splines (22 I think) = No LSD option 

·         Cortina Based P100 = Borg Warner (won’t accept a Capri Diff)

·         Sierra Based P100 = Atlas (Don’t know anything else about it)

sierra p100 atlas is same style as capri atlas pigs head but 10mm thick tubes and fully floating shafts 

you need a cortina atlas axle nothing different and the capri cw/p and lsd will go in it