colr6

Electric or manual ????

Been having a few problems with the window wider mechanisms on the mk1 Tina, basically past their sell by date. So is now the time to consider going electric ? Anyone done the conversion ? Any suggestion on motors to use ie from what car. Or do I try and recycle the old manual winders if poss. Any suggestions or routes to take much appreciated. Cheers Col.

I've thought about this type of job too, Col. I reckon it's a case of measuring up a few widths and window heights to try and get a similar scissor travel  as the donor. Bottom slider trail should mostly take care of the travel though. Also take the end of travel inhibit switches to cut the motor out at full travel. 

My other thought was to use the existing winder, with the rear connected to a microswitch. Click it up or down then to operate the window. 

One of the things I thought of was bmw 3 series winder motors and rack as it bolts to the lower part of window and just goes up and down an upright toothed rod. Poss save working all the axis points out. The problem is a lot of the scrappies won't let you in to have a gander at stuff due to health and safety the round ones

22 minutes ago, colr6 said:

One of the things I thought of was bmw 3 series winder motors and rack as it bolts to the lower part of window and just goes up and down an upright toothed rod. Poss save working all the axis points out. The problem is a lot of the scrappies won't let you in to have a gander at stuff due to health and safety the round ones

Yes, that would definitely save a lot of aggro.

Rent one from Enterprise for the weekend :-)

On 28/10/2018 at 23:29, colr6 said:

I done this years ago to a MK1 (Lets just say other manufacture), I went down this kinda route. I wondered around a scrappie until I found what I thought looked like the best option, I then bought the two doors complete... Sold the doors and bits on and ended up costing me £0

I was all quite easy in the end... Having the donor doors there ended up being a big help for the movement measurements.

• Like 1