I listened to what you were saying regarding the engine and thought it would be a good idea to do some more checking. From what I understand, all xflows have the same bore ~81 mm. Is that right? So, I thought I'd check the stroke. Now, I will admit it wasn't the most scientific approach, but it should give something pretty close. I took No 1 plug out, stuck a pencil in the hole and pushed/pulled the car (in gear) to find top and bottom dead centres. Using a ruler across from the top of the head, I marked the pencil in both positions, then measured the distance between them with my calipers. I got a stroke of 64 mm.
The 1300 has a stroke of 63 mm, so I'm guessing that's what it actually is.
So, my question, particularly given how certain you were, is what the **** have I got? You'll see below that I've had a problem with the exhaust manifold not mating up to the (genuine - from a manual saloon, not an auto) 1300 Mk2 Cortina exhaust. Plus, the carb is not a Mk2 Cortina one - it's a Weber 34 ICH. Plus, the water pump was longer than the new one I've fitted, which is purportedly for a Mk2 'Tina.
I'm starting to lose what little remains of my hair! So, any advice or thoughts would be most gratefully received.
Thanks, Col. The 1/4" UNCs worked a treat! 😊
What I didn't expect was that the new water pump is shorter than the old one! I may try and make a spacer of some description, but at the moment, four washers on each bolt (between pulley and water pump) gets all the pulleys lined up.
Also unexpected was the amount the system leaked when I filled it up with coolant. Without even running it, there was water out of the thermostat housing (well, the join between housing and head) and the radiator core in a couple of places. Looks like the 2nd hand rad was not such a bargain! Thermostat housing is most likely old, mating surfaces. I'll pull it apart and have a look.
Having been disappointed with the cooling system, I turned my attention on my nemesis - the exhaust. Last attempt ended in a lot of swearing and nicely bruised finger. This time, I got the car up higher (once I'd worked out why my 2 tonne jack couldn't lift my 850 kg car!) and attacked it with greater vigour - and more kicking! Hurrah! The exhaust is now attached to the car and my loved ones are no longer tripping over it in the hallway. Not so hurrah, it doesn't fit up to the manifold. It's long enough and in the right place. It's just the exhaust seems to be bigger than the manifold connection (see photo). Bum!
So, I gave up on that to re-group and think of an alternative plan. It's entirely possible that I have an Escort engine masquerading as a Cortina one (the radiator I took out has the word "Escort" written on masking tape down the side....). Is the 1300 Cortina manifold larger than the corresponding Escort version? Do I have an 1100 head with 1100 manifold? Do I have an 1100 manifold on 1300 head? I can't tell from the manuals I have or interweb searching I've done. Any ideas? There seem to be a lot of knowledgeable sorts on here.
I had a couple of hours spare, so I thought I might as well see if I could fit the inertia reel seat belts front and rear. I started at the rear, as that is where my most precious people will be travelling. This actually went remarkably smoothly (once I'd located the bolts holding the seat back in place). OK, I am missing the threaded fittings for the bolts to, erm, bolt into. But, there were holes in the chassis in all the right places. So, a few quid on the right fittings for underneath and Bob's your mother's brother. The fronts didn't go quite so well. I got the inertia reel bits fitted to the B pillars no problem. But trying to get the old bolts out of the transmission tunnel for the clippy inny bits is proving a bit more troublesome. They just won't move. I had a quick look underneath and wonder whether they've been undersealed in place. I've liberally doused them in WD40 from both sides. So, I'll leave them for a bit of a soak and come back to them next weekend - maybe with the bastard bar!
All in all a bit of a mixed bag this weekend - same as the weather so there must be something in that.
The confusion with the engine (and the gearbox) is my main concern. I'm slightly worried that I could spend 'kin ages and shed loads of cash chasing the problem / incompatibility through the car. I don't have much in the way of spare cash. So, I think I need to have a listen to any info / advice on what I've actually got in there and decide whether it's really worth it.