Vista

Mk2 Van project - Engine apart again on Page 44!

Good work Gary/Scott, kept this one quiet :shock:

I was just trying to keep my head down after the recent thread that appeared to contain an "uprising" against owners who have their cars restored professionally rather than doing it themselves.

those haters eh ! If you can afford it buddy then this is the way forward !

Love it !

The Axle is looking mighty fine up there too...................now why didn't I take a snap of that?? :huh::morons:

C'mon Gary get a pic of that axle, it looks an awesome bit of kit :wink:

Its only a lump of metal Jon ... :mrgreen: but i'll get a pic of it :wink:

The Axle is looking mighty fine up there too...................now why didn't I take a snap of that?? :huh::morons:

Its only a lump of metal Jon ... :mrgreen: but i'll get a pic of it :wink:

Nice one Gary, to be fair tho your "lumps of metal" tend to be very photogenic :thumbsup:

Hi Scott, Great to have met you on saturday, glad to see you put the roof box to good use. Have just veiwed this thread for the first time, thats some awesum work (as the yanks would say). End result should suprise a few of the corsa boys!! :wink:

Mick The Mig said:
Hi Scott, Great to have met you on saturday, glad to see you put the roof box to good use. Have just veiwed this thread for the first time, thats some awesum work (as the yanks would say). End result should suprise a few of the corsa boys!! :wink:

And you mate :thumbsup: Roof box was very handy on the way back, it saved me making a 2nd trip back to Devizes to collect the rest of my jigsaw!

4parajon said:
Vista said:

Just for Jon to get excited over :whackit::wink:

Image002.jpg

Image004.jpgImage003[1].jpgImage002.jpgVan_special__04.jpgVan_special_03.jpgVan_special_02.jpgVan_special_01.jpg

popped over here specially just for this thread ... and i gotta say i reckon it was worth it 8)8)8)8)8)

top work lads, good to see sommat different... saloons have been done to death :lol:

keep up the good work.

ahh fostek local to me 8) even pop to the motorclub he attends the odd time aswell :)

Gary has been busy again

New piece manufactured for the outside edge of the front panel

new panel.jpg

All welded in place

Off side front panel.jpg

Offside wing rail

offside wing rail.jpg

offside wing rail2.jpg

All sorted

offside wing rail sorted.jpg

Near side kick panel, A pillar and footwell

Near side drivers footwell.jpg

Near side kick panel 2.jpg

Near side A pillar top before.jpg

All chopped out

Near side A pillar.jpg

Near side kick panel.jpg

Near side A pillar 3.jpg

Repairs under way, updates to come soon :D

near side A pillar 2.jpg

looking good scott, only just found this project! can't wait to see the finished build, good luck with it :thumbsup:

looking good scott, only just found this project! can't wait to see the finished build, good luck with it :thumbsup:

Thanks Rich, you going up to CF this weekend?

Time to look at the nearside footwell and sill.

Near side footwell & sill.jpg

On closer inspection, a couple of pin holes were found in the outer sill, it's likely these would have been missed but were highlighted by the acid dipping.

Sill piece.jpg

So it was duly chopped out

Near side sill.jpg

And repair sections fabricated

Near side sill repairs in progress2.jpg

Near side sill repairs in progress.jpg

All done, footwell / floor next

Near side sill repair complete.jpg

OOhh another one whose found the thread.. :lol: Scott and I were getting lonely down here :(

Cheers to the others who have found it and posted a comment or two :beer:

Cracking work as ever Gary

cant wait to see this one in the flesh :twisted:

Lookin good, cnt wait to see it :beer:

Can't wait til i get enough for a MK1 Van, one of my dream OSF's, dunno why, the just look ober cool :ykt::mrgreen::thumbsup:

And here we have the last of the rot cut out and replaced, that was pretty painless compared to most that I see. Actually it's all pretty painless for me :D Thanks Gary :thumbsup:

Rusty near side foot well / floor

Old front passenger footwell.jpg

All gone leaving a mint original chassis rail :thumbsup:

Nearside chassis rail.jpg

New floor in place

New front passenger footwell.jpg

And last but not least, out with a slightly rusty outer headlight surround

Nearside headlight surround.jpg

Ta daaaaa

All welded in place complete with nicy shiny new metal in the kick panel

Near side complete.jpg

Now the fun begins where big holes are cut in the sides for my fat boy wheels :thumbsup:

Yep... glad the restoration works done .. time consuming, fiddley sometimes, and theres no performance gain for the customer,

Wings to line up next, mount them and then take large chunks out of them for the modded bubbles .. why modded, big wheels means the arch needs some work.. all will be revealed in next weeks episode of ........

"One Man and his Van"

And Scott, your a painless customer, ... well apart from the top mounts :D

"One Man and his Van"

And Scott, your a painless customer, ... well apart from the top mounts :D

Won't be mowing the meadows!

Juries still out on the top mounts................perhaps the OSF jury should vote on it.

Cut out the original top mounts that are completely mint still with chassis numbers stamped in them and replace them with Gary's adjustable camber top mounts

Or

Leave them be as a token showing of how original the steel is?

Wonder if I can add a poll this late in the day?

Trackday car ... you arrive, you empty the car with all the tools, you go do a few laps and come in , the very nice man in a fetching blue top with Retro written on it says ............

"touch of air out the NSF, touch more in the OSR ... a tadge of neg on the NS...and a lil off the OS. "

senario 1 ....

10:00 AM 10 laps done

Nice man from Retro watches as you pull the van up onto the wooden blocks, then you slip your jack under it, you then place the axle stands under it, and remove the front wheels, then you lug the big tool box out of the garage.. and hun for the big spanners to undo your expensive adjustable track control arms.. you wind a little more neg on the NS and then swap the tools to the other side, ... BO&^%^ ..spanners slipped and your now bleeding, nice man from retro fetches a plaster while you hop around swinging your arms up and down whilest holding the skin back on the knuckle .. nice man from retro then says, as he dries your eyes .."get on with it, it will be dinner time soon" ..so you slide back under the carm and adjust the otherside, you stand up and say .."all done" ... nice man from Retro shakes his head. "What about the tracking" ... off you trot to get the expensive tracking gauges ... pits filling up now as its dinner time .. You re do the tracking and wait for dinnertime to be over... you then go out and do another 10 laps.. when the nice man from Retro hangs out the 'IN' board.. he measures again and says a lil more neg camber off the OS again ...

Nice man from Retro watches as you pull the van up onto the wooden blocks, then you slip your jack under it, you then place the axle stands under it, and remove the front wheels, then you lug the big tool box out of the garage.. and hun for the big spanners to undo your expensive adjustable track control arms.. you wind a little more neg on the NS and then swap the tools to the other side, ... BO&^%^ ..spanners slipped and your now bleeding again, nice man from retro fetches another plaster while you hop around swinging your arms up and down whilest holding the skin back on the other knuckle .. nice man from retro then says, as he dries your eyes .."get on with it, it will be home time soon" ..so you slide back under the carm and adjust the otherside, you stand up and say .."all done" ... nice man from Retro shakes his head. "What about the tracking" ... off you trot to get the expensive tracking gauges ... pits filling up now as its dinner time .. You re do the tracking and get 5 laps in before tey call time on the trackday ...

Senario 2

10;00am ..10 laps done

Nice man from retro measures the car, opens bonnet, adjust top mounts and sends you out again ..

10:15 am 20 laps total

Nice man from retro calls you in.. measures, opens bonnet, adjusts and send you out ..

10:30 am .. 30 laps in total

Nice man from retro calls you in .. mesures and gives you the thumbs up ..

dinner time.. forgotten how many laps now.. big grin on drivers face .empty tank.. Nice man from Retro measures and makes small adjustment with the words.." your pushing her now "

5pm .. lap time of 54 seconds .. well chuffed

What type of top mounts are you thinking of

Same as yours ...

Thing is, allthough Scotts top mounts are good.. the suspensions going to have the weight of a cossie bouncing on them, so would need the RS plates anyway..