Starting a pinto in damp weather.

My Pinto engine has been running great it has new everything (!) as in plugs, leads, condensor, dizzy cap, coil, rotor arm, points, battery, and rebuilt carb etc... Its been running great for a week done over 200 trouble free miles. Yesterday it was reluctant to start in the morning then at lunch time reluctant again. This morning i couldnt get it to start to the point were the battery is flat so Ive had to throw it on charge and take my girlfriends car to work. Could it be the damp? It was pissing it down yesterday big time. Does the Holts ignition sealant stuff work? You guys had any similar experiences?

Guest cortinamad-gonetoo

ive not heard of holts ignition sealant but if its damp its a easy fix

take dizzy cap off wipe it all inside and out put it back on spray all leads cap coil etc with wd and try again in a few mins

have you checked for a spark and fuel :thumbsup:

Defo spark as i got a shock from king lead coil end. Dizzy cap wasn't wet inside but it isn't the tightest fit as the two clips arent in the best condition. Spent 8 months relentlessly building and working on the car evenings weekends and days off and finally MOT it, drive it for a week and it breaks down!!! The good part of my job is driving to and from it in my car! I forgot what it was like driving something with a pinto everyday. A gamble thats what! Think I need to get a mondeo engine in there!

Guest cortinamad-gonetoo

it will be something simple actually take the plug out and check for a spark then just keep eliminating things :thumbsup:

Guest chriscapriman

i had similar probs, so got a bestek kit, best 180 quid i ever spent, new electrocinc ign dizzy, coil and amp pack, time it up and thats it, sometimes when warm, mine can be a swine, but think that is due to the bigger carb rather than ignition :thumbsup:

Ill have to look at these bestek kits I think. I have a lucus ignition amplifier but not sure what else Id need for a conversion. I never used to have any problems startin in the wet before the rebuild. Now I have 100% new parts its not liking it!

Guest chriscapriman

worth a look mate, specialy if your using it as a daily :wink: i had a worn dizzy anyway which enjoyed taking chunks out of dizzy caps so was worth it for me, always handy to rule out ignition if any future probs crop up too :lol::lol::lol:

Guest cortinamad-gonetoo
strange, never had a problem with mine starting, though the auto choke on the carb has broken so doesnt like tickin over in the cold and tries to cut out

i took my chokes out :mrgreen: still starts ok maybe not always first time but i rev it for a minuit then off i go :thumbsup:

Guest cortinamad-gonetoo
you got an air-leak anywhere?

you say re-built carb thats all.... theres a lot of thigns to go wrong rebuilding a carb

it should still start if its got a air leak though

you got an air-leak anywhere?

you say re-built carb thats all.... theres a lot of thigns to go wrong rebuilding a carb

it should still start if its got a air leak though

yeah but if its cold and damp you want it to be rich, if its got an air-leak and is running on the lean side, if its cold n wet itd be quite hard to start until the engine comes up to temparature.

also, if the engine is warm things expand and the leak may seal again?

Guest cortinamad-gonetoo

its just i had a air leak a few weeks ago and mine ran and started but it was very lumpy and shit on tickover

its sorted now and fook me goes better than ever :mrgreen: