banger meet last weekend

All I can think about are those cars that could've been saved/preserved/used for people who would really give them the TLC they deserved...!!! All those rarities getting smashed up really is criminal...! On the other hand though, if nobody out there gets hold of them to save or preserve them then what are we to do...?! Something has to happen to these old beasts whether for better or for worse... :( I'm not going to fuel the fires of the 'thieving banger boys' debate but I wonder how many of those cars were purchased legitimately from people who believed they were going to go to a good home? Quite a fair few I reckon... :x

only ever been to a banger race once or twice as a kid but what i don't understand is why are they still using the same sort of cars they would have been using years ago - why not a mondeo or a focus or other 10 / 15 year old plastic that no one cares about

i just don't get it

only ever been to a banger race once or twice as a kid but what i don't understand is why are they still using the same sort of cars they would have been using years ago - why not a Mundano or a focus or other 10 / 15 year old plastic that no one cares about

i just don't get it

Not as strong I'd imagine!

I've spoke to various banger boys over the last few months. Most told me there isn't much crime in it anymore, there's police in attendance at meets etc... Although I don't see the point.

A couple did admit that they buy cars claiming to the owners they have intentions of restoring them :(

But to be fair quite a few boys had a valid point. If someone is trying to sell a totally rotten Mk3 Cortina (for example) for X amount and restorers aren't interested in it then why not sell to the banger boys?

Better then them being scraped sorry but that's bull shit I would rather have them scraped at least I could buy the parts of them and any one who's interested sign up with oval chat and have a look at some of the mint cars ther racing would bring tears to your eyes

It was an unlimited meeting so the granny is the best car for it,save the mundangos for the normal meetings,as for that jag it was ugly but rare. And has been said many times before if you dont want the banger boys to get the cars youve got to out bid them or knock on the doors 1st :thumbsup:

i dont let it bother me dont mind they got to run out soon and when they do mine will be worth some more money and as i found out on monday old banger boys are usefull as one of them is trying his mates for the parts that i need :mrgreen::wink:

it is also a good outlet for cars you dont want any-more to better then scrape :wink:

any one who's interested sign up with oval chat and have a look at some of the mint cars ther racing would bring tears to your eyes

Agreed... :sad:

I must admit though the banger chaps are good for hooking you up with spare parts, they do have lots of stuff for old Fords which, of course, is a double edged sword as it is good to get the parts but it would be even better if the donor car was kept on the road...!!!

I understand what people say about it being ok to race cars that are really only good for the scrapper and, to a certain extent, I agree but when you hear of really tidy cars being stripped down and Dulux'd up you cannot help but get a little bit cheesed off... :x

People always say "better to race them than just scrap them" which is fair enough but the best thing that could happen to the cars that are not saveable is to break them completely for spares and then cut the shells up as second hand repair sections, "better than just racing them!"

People always say "better to race them than just scrap them" which is fair enough but the best thing that could happen to the cars that are not saveable is to break them completely for spares and then cut the shells up as second hand repair sections, "better than just racing them!"

Amen to that sir... :thumbsup:

Amen to that sir... :thumbsup:

Trouble with that is they all rot in the same places.