Sign in to follow this  
smuudge

Capri Mk1 3000GXL VIN chassic decode

Guest chriscapriman

stolen from capripower :thumbsup:

http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index ... g-decoded/

Untitled-2.jpg

This first example pic below was of the first type seen/used (1968-1972) on a British built Ford Capri.[/size]

earlyexample.jpg

Explanation of VIN plate=

Drive (British upto 1970) 1= right hand drive, 2= left and drive

Drive (British from Aug 1970 and German capris from Dec 1968) 1= left hand drive, 2= right hand drive.

Eng (Engine) S or J2= 1300cc high compression, T or J1= 1300cc low compression, U or L2= 1600cc high compression, W or L1= 1600cc low compression, R or J3= 1300cc GT, X or L3= 1600cc GT, N= 2000cc, H= 3000cc.

Trans (Transmission) 5= Floor change manual, 7= Floor change Automatic

Axle A= 3.545:1(3.444:1 to Aug 1970)( Z= heavy duty 3.545:1 from Aug 1970).

B= 3.778:1 (W= heavy duty), C= 3.889/3.900:1 (V/J = heavy duty), D= 4.125:1 (X= heavy duty),

E= 4.444:1 (Y= heavy duty), S/8= 3.444:1 (Z= heavy duty to Aug 1970, Q= heavy duty from Aug 1970), R= 3.221:1 (U= heavy duty).

Trim (this section is incredibly detailed upto Aug 1970 so only a couple of typical examples listed.)

Image57.jpg

Body (this is not highlighted on VIN plate, but is letter after trim code) D= De Lux, G= GT.

SVC ref: = Denotes date of manufacture, in case of a vehicle shipped unassembled for assembly in another country.

Vehicle Number This consists of : Six letters =

1st letter denotes country of origin (or in which assembled) B= Britain. D= West Germany

2nd letter denotes assembly plant; Right hand drive; B= Halewood Left hand drive; A= Cologne, West Germany

3rd letter denotes model type; E= Capri

4th letter denotes body type; C= 2 door coupe

5th & 6th letter denote year and month codes, which are translated for you in the table below (applying to all Capris from 1968 to 1986).

Image44.jpg

Which now leaves us with a figure number = This is the vehicle identification number, unique to the individual vehicle.

Image61.jpg

Example explanatory image below..

Image33.jpg

The only difference between these two plates shown is the left hand/right hand drive code number has changed.

Image35.jpg

Image62.jpg

September - Year 1972

The Vin Plate design/Layout changed again.

Image39.jpg

The Vin plate above is for Capris built in Britain, however production of the british built Capri ceased in September 1976, so,all Capris produced after that date would have the Vin plate shown below which was used by the West Germans since 1972.

Image40.jpg

This Vin plate contained information similiar to the previous Vin plate, but here is a description of the codes:

GECP = Capri coupe, West Germany.

BECP = Capri coupe, great Britain. (example below)

Version = applies to Italian cars only

Fahrgestell/Vehicle no (6 letters):

First letter denotes country of origin (or in which assembled)

B = Britain

G = Germany

Second letter denotes assembly plant

A = Cologne

D = Halewood

C = Saarlouis

Third letter denotes model type:

E = Capri

Fourth letter denotes body type;

C = Two door coupe

Fifth and sixth letters denotes year and months codes (see image immediatley below).

the six figures that follow on after the year and month code is the vehicle identification number unique to the vehicle it is on.

Image44.jpg

And here is a explanation of the rest of the Vin plate:

Image64.jpg

Lenk/Drive:

1 = Left-hand drive

2 = Right-hand drive

Motor/Engine: Denotes engine capacity and type:

J2 = 1300cc OHV

J3 = 1300cc OHV - Performance

LC = 1600cc OHC

LE = 1600cc OHC - Performance

NE = 2000cc

YY = 2300cc

PR = 2800cc

HY = 3000cc

just to add to this if you have ED instead of EC in the chassis number, the car was a development there are a few about and (according to ford) no car in the ford history ever had the ED they do exist i know of three one i owned another is in belgium and the other is still on the road and being used regular (met the guy at the capri`s at the ace one year)

just to add to this if you have ED instead of EC in the chassis number, the car was a development there are a few about and (according to ford) no car in the ford history ever had the ED they do exist i know of three one i owned another is in belgium and the other is still on the road and being used regular (met the guy at the capri`s at the ace one year)

That guy at the Ace was Chris. He was the previous owner the car you talk about, which I'm now the proud ownder of. :-D

The VIN begins BBEDHT. This leaves me clueless as to where it was built?

In regards to the ED coding denoting a development model, I met some folks from the Mk1 Owners Club last year, who were adamant that the ED thing had nothing to do with development. Again I'm left clueless.

They were clear that it was the oldest Capri that they know of (according to VIN sequence). Whilst I'm not 100% hung up on it being the oldest or a dev model (just happy to drive the car), I am curious to get a definitive answer to support this post.

I was indeed the owner - hows it going jimbo?  The car was built in Halewood and as proof postitive when I stripped it down for rebuilding there was  athrupenny bit glued in the floor - still got it somewhere