New Classic Vehicle Rules :(

SebringRS

Copied and pasted from Rod's and Sod's :thumbsup:

"EU LEGISLATION

(Extract from FIVA’s regular update provided by its lobbying service, EPPA) Second meeting of the European Parliament Historic Vehicle Group

The second meeting of the European Parliament’s Historic Vehicle Group took place on 19 October in Strasbourg. During the meeting Horst Brüning, FIVA’s president and FBHVC’s Andrew Burt gave a presentation about the definition of a historic vehicle. They explained that a wide range of definitions are currently used in both EU and national laws and that ideally one common definition would be recognised by decision makers and in law. They then detailed the FIVA definition, explained its rationale and the importance of a definition allowing regulatory audiences to understand why historic vehicles should be treated differently to all other vehicles, especially to all other ‘older’ vehicles. Horst Brüning and Andrew Burt explained that the existing variety of definitions has not created any major practical problems to date, but that as legislation with exemptions for historic vehicles increases (which is likely because of the development of Intelligent Transport Systems and LEZs) there will be a heightened need for a common definition to avoid problems and make life simpler for owners, regulators and law enforcers in the future. They therefore urged the MEPs to help FIVA to promote and achieve a common definition for future use in EU legislation. The MEPs expressed their surprise at the current situation and agreed that they would aim to help FIVA in its objective."

taken from

FBHVC » Blog Archive » Newsletter No. 6 2010

Basically this means that FIVA definition is going to become the definition of Historic vehicles across the EU which brings in their definition of 'Period mods only ', 'Historically correct and in period ' and 'Not daily driven' as shown in tech definition below

http://www.fiva.org/EN/Downloads/Tec...2001012010.pdf

Few other links, that may help explain smaller parts a bit more:

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/Chassis-and-M ... ation.html

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/fiva-define-h ... highlight2

From all that, all i sort of get is that, or from what has been explained to me is, blowers etc. tubbing, ladder baring and any other chassis mods (apart from original) is now illegal??? And un-period mods??

Am i right in thinking that?? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

No, you are not. This is a PROPOSAL. None of it is, as yet law. The presentation was made in October. There's not dates set as to if and when the FIVA definition will be taken on as a legal definition. Calm down. The sky is not falling in.

Good :mrgreen:

Otherwise that woulda ruined my plans for cars :lol::lol:

How shall I put this? At the end of the day, driving with no MOT is illegal, yet people still do it. They get away with it too. So the EU and even the Government of this land can pass as many laws as they like, they will still be broken. If mods of all kinds were to become illegal, I would like to bet there wouldn't be enough hours in the day and enough VOSA men to keep up with the OSF or any other Old Skool scene.

Stories are being bandied round about MOT testers dobbing in cars that should have an SVA/IVA yet many cars that should are still happily insured (always declare mods to the insurance, obviously) MOT'd and taxed.

The good news is, IF this gets in, in whatever form, it's a step towards the UK getting back the rolling tax exemption. If (again IF) it comes back, it's likely to be 30 years rolling. I can wait. Tax exempt Mk2 anybody?

Trust me im expecting that in five years l our "hobby " will be over for the most part ,the eu will get their way and our classics will be for use on weekends only as in some european cities already .

The comment about MOT testers is true ive seen several cars been referred to the iva test and they are due to revise the MOT still further this year ,If the Andy Saunders of this world cant get a car through what hope for the rest of us .?

What will we do - Is Road pricing still going on ,im sure that will be put through soon as well

With the cost of fuel and insurance going up 30 % this year(no joke ),im sure many of us will be priced and taxed out of our cars ,which will mean the values of our cars will drop like a stone .

Very sad , oh and the rolling road tax no chance it aint going to happen

TBH I have to agree with you about the return of rolling tax. I would like it to be true, but in reality I know the govt won't accept it or be able to afford it. If it came back tomorrow, there would instantly be 9 years of car legible for free tax, which are currently paying for it. Every year the govt holds off bringing it back, more cars are added to that number. The only way it would come back is if the EU threaten to fine the govt for not bringing it back.

The good news to me is that, if the govt are not going to accept bringing back rolling exemption, there is no point in accepting the rest of it. Why have a legally recognised definition of Historical if there's no tax bracket to match? It makes a mockery of it.

I though about this and even if the worst happens and they ban classics from the road. I will be very happy just looking at it in the garage and taking it to the pod on a trailer for a burn 8)

That's not really an option for me though, I kinda based a business on classic vehicles. Not many of which are suitable for trailering.....

Andy Saunders was mentioned...and his Bently failed on ....................

the bog standard side repeater ... go figure

if it gets stupid.. look at the CF and RC shows..how many cars are there, now stick those in and around Westminster... all rolling around at 1 mile /hour ...

or.. lines of classic cars at the Dartford tunnel.. and funny enough, because we cant modifiy them, they run standard 40 year electrics..each one breaks down on the approach to the tolls.. ( we can all blow a fuse, crack a dizzy arm )

Shut the Dartford Tunnel/Bridge for a few days .. and see what happens

On a plus side... if it dose become law, some of the death traps maybe removed, i've been looking into getting my shells approved, you buy it as part of a kit, the car will have a q plate, but then that will be a badge of honour, as the car is then approved.. buy a car thats not a q plate and then try and get it through..

Basicly its not a ban.. its a plate issue, you just cant keep the cars original ID

all my cars will be q plated and iva'd....but it won't make them boring to drive :ykt: i can't see the reg from the driver's seat! (not really true as i got stopped by 7 (yes..7) police and they told me to change the position of my no plate! it's only been stuck on my bonnet for 10 yrs!)

getting the mot testers to report non standard cars is a bit low, especially as they will have to as part of thier job, i see that as "if you don't grass your mates' cars, we will stop you mot'ing!!

if it happens, there will be a lot of track day cars about.

where does this stand with cars that were modded 30 yrs ago?

"On a plus side... if it dose become law, some of the death traps maybe removed, i've been looking into getting my shells approved, you buy it as part of a kit, the car will have a q plate, but then that will be a badge of honour, as the car is then approved.. buy a car thats not a q plate and then try and get it through..

Basicly its not a ban.. its a plate issue, you just cant keep the cars original ID"

oh, and pay for the test :ykt: financially orientated? hmmm

all my cars will be q plated and iva'd....but it won't make them boring to drive

Good luck with that mate, as already stated it's no MOT test, and you don't get a free re test too. The last thing in the world I would do is go for the IVA test with anything.

Andy Sauders's Rolls is a good case. Has to be said though, it was only pulled cos they wanted to transfer the plate, had a VIC check and the numpty that saw it knew nothing about cars, so said it wasn't the car on the V5. If the plate hadn't been up for a transfer, the car would still be rolling on it's original plate.

Don't poke the sleeping lion, and you won't get bitten.....

Truth be known, many of the cars on here would not retain their original number plates, tax exempt or otherwise, if the mods they have were pointed out to the DVLA/VOSA. Yet they are out and about, tax tested and insured. Why open that can of worms by taking the IVA/BIVA test? Nobody on hear is hurting anybody by making alterations, no kittens died and there's not a new hole in the ozone layer. I am damn sure in the present economic climate most people can't/won't afford the IVA test fee, let alone the changes to get it through.