With all the old skool Fords being nicked recently, I've been looking into getting a device you put in your car that allows you to track it via the GSM networks. I remember seeing a build it yourself kit on the net a few years ago, but can't find it anymore, but I did find this device on ebay:

Works with a GSM sim and is battery powered. If your car gets nicked you can dial the number and listen in to what's going off in the car. Register with one of these GSM tracking companies so you can keep track on your kids, and you can see where it is if it does get stolen. The price is only £65. I reckon I'm going to get one. What do you all think of the idea?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GSM-TRACKER-W-AUD ... dZViewItem

Oh, I'm not related to or know the guy selling these, even though he only lives a few miles from me.

i got a fully monitored tracker for 300 quid .if its fully garaged and if you go out in it and dont leave it lying around theres not a lot more you can do, car theives arent bothered by alarms the ones that no what they are doing can turn it off in seconds, and especially oldskoolfords cos most of them are stolen to order ! and the worst thing is they will probably get rallied!

I liked the idea they had in the 1st Robocop movie

i.e.

1) Thief breaks in and sits down in drivers seat

2) Unwelcome tinker lol is then clamped to the seat by a set of manacles

Next is the good bit

3) Thief is electrocuted by so many volts that all you need to do is sweep out the ash when you come back.

I guess he won't do that again in a hurry huh?

I know security for our OSF is deadly serious....but the easiest thing i have done is to remove the coil lead / dizzy cap ....can"t start the fooker then can they.... :wink::lol:

Admit , you could still have it knicked by having it towed away , but if they want it , they won"t want to be fookin about with towing or trailers..... :!:

in my orion, i've taken the bonet pull off (you need a pair of plyers to pull the litle metal ball on the end) the plyers are kept in the ouse, but i take them with me anyway.

pop the bonet and ters a couple of disconected wires. simple as. 2 forms of security- ad its similar o he 'tina although i am reluctant to say

surely, battery in the boot and a hidden cut off switch would confuse most of these idiots who try to steal our cars, they'd be fumbling around under the dash but there wouldn't be any power there for them to play with.

either that or i'd love to see some sort of remote control fire extinguisher (CO2) that you could set off and knock them out inside the car :twisted:

That last point is a valid one. I was planning on doing a review of the tracker on my website, but I don't want anyone to know what security devices are fitted. If you really want to know the van has multiple immobiliser and tracker devices fitted, plus I keep a Doberman in the back on a night time :D

The tracker arrived today, next day delivery, so I'm very impressed. I've not had chance to play with it yet (I'm hungover ) :sad:

It's basically a modified stripped out mobile phone, which is what I expected, but as long as it does the job I'll be happy.

Just my 10p worth, how accurate is the tracking via GSM? Most phones can be tracked using the commercial websites but depending on locations of repeaters may only be accurate to 2KM depending if the location is rural....

If you want a CHEAP tracker then buy an old type NOKIA, pay as you go SIM and car kit.

Subscribe phone to tracker website, hide phone in car wired up to car battery so it doesnt go flat and switch off, set phone to silent, fit car kit.

Then if the worse happens you can "try" and track it, or you can phone it (scrotes wont hear it ring coz its on silent) the nokia will auto answer, you can then listen to whats being said or scream down the phone obsenities and scare the crap out of the scrote who knicked your car......

Allan

I would fit an alarm and immobiliser, a disklock and a pedalock, you need to buy time but that said a pro will get it eventually. Removable steering wheels are ok but bear in mind that scotes that follow a restoration on the net will know what type of wheel they need to fit your car once you have completed it and they want to relieve you of it.

Decent VISUAL detterents are required, electronic devices are good but the scrotes dont know they exist until they have already caused physical damage getting into your pride and joy.

Stoplocks, crooklocks and those wanking yellow gearlever to handbrake devices are crap and very easily defeated in seconds...

Try wiring up a secondary coil to your "metal" gear knob so the scrote gets 30KV up his arm....

I wired up the rear lights of my XR4i years ago with a heavy duty indicator flashher unit and a couple of diodes, and a hidden switch. If anyone drove the vehicle off without deactivating the flasher it made the brake lights and reverse lights flash on and off. Hopefully that would have attracted any passing plods attention.

Theres loads you can do on the cheap to make life hard for the scrotes. Just dont advertise all your security on public forums...

Allan

Pedalock (if still available) lock the break pedal with the breaks applied so unless you chop the flexi's its not being towed anywhere.....

Electronic security alarm/immobiliser are useless if you can pop the lid, cable with crock clips and 2 foot of tube and ur cars gone, by all means have electronic security but PUKKA physical detterents work, but if they want ya car that much just knock on the owners street door, when they open it their starring down a pair of nostrils and will give their keys away...

Just make it as hard as you possibly can.....