The price of classic Fords just keeps going up

Vista

Used to use my mk1 daily for a couple of years about 5-6 years ago but I dont think I would leave one anywhere where I couldnt see it now unfortunately. Hell you cant even leave them in secure storage anymore without someone nicking them. I'm selling mine when its finished its worth far too much for me to worry about which is sad really.

Yup very sad,I'm paranoid about even talking about mine on the net,I used to work on them with the garage door open and chat to any interested passer by,now I check following cars by diverting my route home, I then used to shut my doors in the shed, and meet most buyers of stuff in local places. Maybe daft but scrap hunting travellers are the worst as they don't knock or call ,they just try to open the door and ask for cats or batteries, whilst unashamedly scanning my stuff, so now not just shutting my door when in ,I now lock it too when I'm in there. I do break out sometimes dash out and skiddadle in after a thrash , but I have thought should I sell them, but what would you do for fun?

Actually wouldn't really mind if the market slumped, as would take the pressures of of theft a bit.

Mike

• Like 1

Last year I had a set of banded steelies in my carport waiting to be refurbed, stacked at the back wall. One morning I took the dog around the block and when I came back I noticed they were gone. Annoyed and confused, I noticed a scrap metal transit slowly driving back down my road ringing his bell. As he passed me guess what I saw in the back of the truck-yes my feckin wheels! Cheeky bastard said he thought they were left out for him! He just helped himself to them, no asking just jumped out and took them. Told him I wasnt happy and to fook off. So yes be careful out there.

And yet, on the flip side of this, I get elderly neighbours stopping me and giving me things out of their garages, my latest was a gallon of Dinitrol clear, and a gallon of Dinitrol black wax, because "You have old cars don't you? Have this I'll never use it now" So if I hid my cars I wouldn't get stuff. I did get a bit paranoid last year though when the council shut our local recycling point and the scrap collecting trucks got to 3 or 4 a day cruising the area, but that's now stopped.

Pete dont sell it,I'm sure you will miss it when it's gone. I say I'm going to sell mine all the time ,but my wife says you will forever regret it

Well the good thing is I now don't have a wife! So its not that much od a decision, will I regret it maybe, but needs must!

• Like 1

You carnt blame anyone for trying to get as much as they can for the cars, if auction is the way of achieving that.

And yes I did try selling my RS1600 not long ago ...what a pain that turned out to be ...at least some potential dealers where honest enough to say what price they would put it up for, but just wanted to knock me down even more ...

In my current situation I cannot justify having a car worth maybe £20k plus when done sitting in a garage when I can barely afford to eat...its only a car and if someone wants to pay me what is in essence more money than I'll ever see they can have it Ive had my fun.

• Like 2

I would never leave mine out of my sight unless it was locked up. Its a 1986 2.8 injection Special but far from original now - only the shell and LSD axle are original. I would have to spend  4 grand to make it like it was before I improved it lol Ive spent probe 10 grand over the years including buying it so it would have to fetch 20 for it to even break even as a standard original example. I love it how it is now and I reckon that in time bare mk3 shells as good as mine (mint) will be worth stacks.

Yup very sad,I'm paranoid about even talking about mine on the net,I used to work on them with the garage door open and chat to any interested passer by,now I check following cars by diverting my route home, I then used to shut my doors in the shed, and meet most buyers of stuff in local places. Maybe daft but scrap hunting travellers are the worst as they don't knock or call ,they just try to open the door and ask for cats or batteries, whilst unashamedly scanning my stuff, so now not just shutting my door when in ,I now lock it too when I'm in there. I do break out sometimes dash out and skiddadle in after a thrash , but I have thought should I sell them, but what would you do for fun?

Actually wouldn't really mind if the market slumped, as would take the pressures of of theft a bit.

Mike

I do the same with mine. I've got two roundabouts near me and I always do a few circuits to see if any other cars do the same. Then I'll drive down my road and straight past the house if anyone is behind me.

I'm getting electric doors on my new garage specifically to speed up the process of putting the car away. It's madness really! (Or is it just paranoia?)

Same when I sell bits. I generally meet people away from the house if I can to 'make it easier for them'. Not worth disclosing the location of an OSF for £20 worth of bits!

• Like 1

Not worth disclosing the location of an OSF for £20 worth of bits!

You charged me £25?! Haha

I know what you mean! For years I had my 1929 model A V8 truck sat in my garage with 1 tiny lock keeping it safe

Now I have a cortina there's several locks, several immobilisers and few other tricks keeping it Safe!

If any1 asks I'm in the SAS and my garage is occupied by a bunch of angry hungry rottweilers lol!

Where I live a see a couple of elderly Ford as dailies, an unmolested Capri Injection Special and a road worn but the business looking and sounding XR4 i. To be honest i paid £2000 dead for my Injection Special 5 years ago as a rock solid original example. Some of my pals said at the time i`d paid £1500 too much for it ! Sure times have changed and so to have the values but they are cars and meant to be used. One thing i`ve noticed when driving mine is that the younger generation of drivers especially love it (thumbs up flashing their lights etc) and when i come back to it there`s always someone who wants to talk about it which i take as a complement. Would i  leave it over night in a multi storey NO but YES i leave it in a public car park or on the street when i`m out for the day. Get `em out there and use `em people,  just take a simple anti theft precaution that`s all i do.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just looked up the article on the This is Money website. Apparently the Capri is the hottest classic car property at the moment. Bought mine for £50 12 years ago before all of this stupidity, thank God. At the same auction the Minder Capri sold for £52500 which was disappointing as the auctioneers estimate was £65000 - 85000!!!!!