Jump to content
Rally Pack 2000

Australian Twincam Thread

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Vista said:

Adopts widow twanky voice "Oh yes they do"

 

 

1974-Ford-Escort-Mk1-RS2000-interior.jpg

No one seems  to mind the wood trimming on a Mk1 RS2000 but when its on a Twincam everyone hates it! It really must be to years of conditioning to the simply white only cars. Id be curious to know when you guys first heard that Twincams were even made in Australia and when you realized they weren't these all white simple things? If im not mistaken its pretty much only in recent years when they first stated popping up on European shores? I think the wood kit above is more full on than that of our Twincams. The trouble with the fake wood in our Twincams is that its the fake stick one stuff from your GTs rather than a proper polished veneer. I may try get a set of the Trims on top of the doors and rear seat area and the dash fascia and experiment with replacement veneers. For that I wish I was in the UK as we don't have automotive veneer craftsman like there is in the UK. We never really embraced woody cars in general. If I can get the 5 strips to experiment with and see how that looks and if the finish suits the car then I can decide to get the same for the gauges and if not just leave it the silver.

No need to start a new thread just for wheels just keep posting it here. I like the different opinions and ideas. Took me ages to decide on regular wheels as well for the same reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don’t need the woody bits, the veneered effect is more for the nautical feel to go along with the boat anchor under the bonnet of the RS !! The Twink is a mans car and should be done in Black, the dash the wheel and no fake sticky stuff anywhere else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, colr6 said:

You don’t need the woody bits, the veneered effect is more for the nautical feel to go along with the boat anchor under the bonnet of the RS !! The Twink is a mans car and should be done in Black, the dash the wheel and no fake sticky stuff anywhere else

Its true I don't actually need them but Im sort of bound by them being their originally. Its just trying to make them look more in keeping with a British sports car rather than the tacky stick on stuff of cheap 70s family car. So If I bequeath the car to the Forum will you guys gut it like a fish and paint it white? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wood trim with chrome surround that you posted James is what we got in XL's, it looks more like plastic than wood. The wood in the RS models (and I think 1300e's too) is much more realistic. I actually had the dash panel on mine remade from a solid piece of teak and stained to match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Vista said:

The wood trim with chrome surround that you posted James is what we got in XL's, it looks more like plastic than wood. The wood in the RS models (and I think 1300e's too) is much more realistic. I actually had the dash panel on mine remade from a solid piece of teak and stained to match. 

Yes I was thinking of meeting in the middle and use the chrome surrounds from the XL but instead of that plastic fake wood put polished veneers in it. I may advertise for some in my fiddly trim bits wanted thread.

That's pretty amazing craftsmanship to get that to match. I couldn't imagine finding someone with the expertise to do that here. Some veneers inset into the chrome surrounds will be as skilled as I could hope for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

On the 1300Es I have seen with that comprehensive wood package they have door tops as well. The RS cars didn't get that part?

you could always but a couple of pieces of walnut, teak or oak and make your own then french polish them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

On the 1300Es I have seen with that comprehensive wood package they have door tops as well. The RS cars didn't get that part?

as far as im aware, you are correct RP, the door capping's were specific to the 1300E, and even here are getting hard to get, even the dash parts, about 3-4 weeks ago a set that imho needed re furb, made £480 on e bay, I had lots of people at the NEC asking where to get the wood from, but there are people making and selling bad repro, that would look ok veneered properly, the veneer is American Cherry, but ford didn't veneer the door capping's, they just stained it to get it close, but mine are veneered so it matches

as an aside, those flat RS wheels are SH1T, even Nick reverted back to an early E / TC wheel

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

On the 1300Es I have seen with that comprehensive wood package they have door tops as well. The RS cars didn't get that part?

No they didn't get wooden door cappings in the RS models. 

As to how I got it done, I work in superyacht building shipyards, off cuts of teak of that size are fairly easy to come by, as are the prerequisite carpentry / cabinet making skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ray said:

as an aside, those flat RS wheels look the business and are a must on all restorations. Nick was mad to revert back to an early E / TC wheel

👍 

:adminpower:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Vista said:

No they didn't get wooden door cappings in the RS models. 

As to how I got it done, I work in superyacht building shipyards, off cuts of teak of that size are fairly easy to come by, as are the prerequisite carpentry / cabinet making skills.

this could be a new business venture for you vista!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are wheels out there that will match the tacky stick on wood if I decide not to change it. A nice Lotus symbol in the centre and job done.

Squarewheel.jpg.b2af7e29f43e085ad408a33ad1550956.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

There are wheels out there that will match the tacky stick on wood if I decide not to change it. A nice Lotus symbol in the centre and job done.

Squarewheel.jpg.b2af7e29f43e085ad408a33ad1550956.jpg

We'll have to create a special naughty step for you if you fit an AllAggro quartet wheel to it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Vista said:

We'll have to create a special naughty step for you if you fit an AllAggro quartet wheel to it!

So if I travel all the way to Classic Ford one day you wont let me on the club stand then? 😛

Are those wheels naturally square or does that happen in the sun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

So if I travel all the way to Classic Ford one day you wont let me on the club stand then? 😛

Are those wheels naturally square or does that happen in the sun?

Read about the horror that is the Austin Allegro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2019 at 03:31, Vista said:

The wood trim with chrome surround that you posted James is what we got in XL's, it looks more like plastic than wood. The wood in the RS models (and I think 1300e's too) is much more realistic. I actually had the dash panel on mine remade from a solid piece of teak and stained to match. 

 

On 10/01/2019 at 04:33, Ray said:

as far as im aware, you are correct RP, the door capping's were specific to the 1300E, and even here are getting hard to get, even the dash parts, about 3-4 weeks ago a set that imho needed re furb, made £480 on e bay, I had lots of people at the NEC asking where to get the wood from, but there are people making and selling bad repro, that would look ok veneered properly, the veneer is American Cherry, but ford didn't veneer the door capping's, they just stained it to get it close, but mine are veneered so it matches

as an aside, those flat RS wheels are SH1T, even Nick reverted back to an early E / TC wheel

Interesting that this conversation should come up in the past few days as a local seller is selling the dash and switch pieces without the one for the gauges. I have never seen these proper wood trims for sale here before. My car is a early wide switch model so its not something I could fit unfortunately

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-Set-of-Mk1-Escort-Wooden-Dash-panels/312405961974?hash=item48bcd8acf6:g:meUAAOSw3bZcJ3~h

No Australian model actually took these so they found their way to my fair shores through the course of time. That price without the gauge one seems quite high to me but you guys would best be the judge.

wooddash9s.thumb.jpg.a666bc0565819d662da4e2b96f5f9006.jpg

wooddash11s.thumb.jpg.bf0f509bc7e9b356e35261cb2f7f8be0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 hours ago, RWL81P said:

found this mexico with door cappings1972-Ford-Escort-Mexico-03.jpg.39a05c828e20d63d247efa60960e558c.jpg

That looks really good with the Blue.

I was going to go for a darker veneer to match the deep colour of the wood on the wheel and also put it in the chrome strips on the dash and doors. Something like this.

DashCluster2.thumb.JPG.4c3a7429a774536810595b475ba89c27.JPG

I would leave the chrome dial surrounds to show through though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RWL81P said:

found this mexico with door cappings1972-Ford-Escort-Mexico-03.jpg.39a05c828e20d63d247efa60960e558c.jpg

retro fitted I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well its time to part with my dreams of 30in spinners for my Twincam and settling down to a more traditional life that wont get me excommunicated from the forum. MY ORIGINAL MK1 4 SPOKE WHEELS HAVE ARRIVED!!! YAY! I have never even seen a set in real life before and now I have 6!

Mk1wheels5.thumb.jpg.a82c8bb4a7f1639513cbce8ef43f55ee.jpg

There is not enough room here to detail the amount of effort that was required first scrub the wheels up to see if it even worth sending them and then having  to send these things in two separate shipments. I cant thank Marcel enough for not only finding these wheels at a bargain price but bundling them and sending them round the other side of the world was simply astonishing. Nowhere else in the world and internet would you find someone that you have never met take so much time and effort to get something for me that I never thought possible being so far away. I am humbled by this wonderful gesture. I couldn't even imagine anyone I know locally troubling themselves to do this. We should all truly appreciated the generosity of the people on this forum that don't just go the extra mile to help someone out they go to the other side of the planet. This forum is absolutely unique in the kind thoughtful people it attracts. It challenges my pessimism in human nature.

One thing I also learned from this experience is that Europe has way better tape than we do. The power and strength of the tape that strapped the wheels together was amazing. Nothing of the local Chinese made offerings could come even close. Some of our rubbish Chinese tape wont even stick to paper! Marcel taped 3 wheels together for each box and around the middle rim he attached a rope and handle which was passed through to the outside as a grip / handle so the box was simply a covering taking no weight. It was genius! Even the parcel delivery man using it commented how good it was packaged and was stunned there were wheels inside. Astonishing! Im sure he could find a way to post an axle safely!

Mk1Wheels6.thumb.jpg.ec2f15aabf15f5d41efc8d7108f67ba1.jpg

As for the wheels its a lengthy process of restoration ahead. Not to squander this generous gift I want to get it done properly so first off I will get them acid dipped and cleaned. I will post some progress images on RWL81P's wheel restoration thread if you like. I still have to decide whether to stick with the 63mm centre caps or enlarge the holes for 70mm caps. Not sure if I will paint these ones myself like I did my Laser wheels or get a professional to do it. Wheel restoration is an expensive business here so have to save up for that. Maybe its because we have such hideous wheels here very few people waste money on restoring them!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i hope your not making one of those 6 wheeled contraptions that keep popping up on the other thread?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RWL81P said:

i hope your not making one of those 6 wheeled contraptions that keep popping up on the other thread?

Hey I never thought of that! A 6 wheel Twincam. That would trump the Mk1 RS2000 Icecream van!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DONT ENLARGE THE HOLES LEAVE THEM AS THEY ARE! please. 😉

 

You have a rare set of wheels don't mess with them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×