Sign in to follow this  
Messenjah

crusty hole ...

the rear corner of my capri :(

40600001xs1.jpg

i took the bumper off to paint it up and get it looking a bit smarter and while cleaning the area under the bumper i found evidence of a bodged repair primer poking out from under some slightly wrong silver paint ... and plenty of black overspray where the bumper had been painted before

now i knew this area was a bit crusty so i didnt wanna poke it too much incase i round something nasty but when i took the rear wheel off i accidentally kicked the rear corner and a lump fell out exposing tht hole .. a lump of filler silver paint and some rust :(

should i just take it to a bodyshop get them to have a look and see what they say ?

either that or put the money into a nice little welder and have a bash yourself :wink:

either that or put the money into a nice little welder and have a bash yourself :wink:

sounds like a plan to me ! :thumbsup:

Do an old skool fix, newspaper, wire mesh and filler :shock::?

:lol::lol::lol:

Buy a welder mate, hell of a lot cheaper in the long run and not a lot to buy one nowadays, and definatley job satisfaction when its done :thumbsup::D

I would like a review of welders in Retro Ford or Classic Ford. There is a general classic car mag that does great reviews every month. I've seen a few welders in halfords and wonder if any of them are ok?

yeah have a weld it will save you money in the future :P you might be an unduiscovered welding legend

I would like a review of welders in Retro Ford or Classic Ford. There is a general classic car mag that does great reviews every month. I've seen a few welders in halfords and wonder if any of them are ok?

I'd steer clear of Halfords unless they have a really good deal on a named welder, Machinemart, Northern tools etc are you're best option.

Mig is generally easier, you have the option of gas-less or gas shielded.

I prefer gas shielded but have converted mine to a big bottle from BOC as I was using too many small bottles at £8 a go.

The power range is possibly the most important thing to look for especially if you're only doing car panels - its the heat generated that's the problem, warped panels all over the shop so you need to be able to turn the power down.

Gasless stuff is ok but the wire is a bit more expensive, in the long run you get what you pay for.

If you're spending money & want to do invisible plating on panels they get yourself a joggle too.

Have a look here:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... and/clarke

I did the silly mistake of buying gasless. They are good when its windy coz then you wont breate the carcinogenic smoke from them. But otherwise its crap coz you cant see the weld and it burns holes in the metal a lot easier. And as mentioned it costs three times more than normal wlding wire. (and you need a lot more of it coz you waste a lot more coz its more difficult to use)

I did the silly mistake of buying gasless. They are good when its windy coz then you wont breate the carcinogenic smoke from them. But otherwise its crap coz you cant see the weld and it burns holes in the metal a lot easier. And as mentioned it costs three times more than normal wlding wire. (and you need a lot more of it coz you waste a lot more coz its more difficult to use)

you need to buy your self a decent solor paneled welding helmet than you can see what you are doing :wink: