dt36

Dash light bulbs

Looks ace! Bet its so much better in the car.
Changed a few of the dash bulbs in the mk1 while I was rebuilding it....better apart from main beam blue light...which dazzles me! Need to look at it...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dt36 said:

Removed Pod and clock to look at the glare on the mileometer. With the clock out, there doesn't seem to be any sign of a blanking shield, but you could see where there was possibly something stuck on there at some time. 

The end of the bulb was shining very bright in this area, so I had a thought of sticking a small black vibration pad in the area just above the dial. This has now got rid of all the glare that was coming through the aperture. 

Also took the front glass off the Pod and cleaned out all the dust etc in front of the clocks. 

I think that's job done... 

IMG_2721.JPG

I was pretty sure the light shield had gone judging by the glare in the shots you posted. Most don't realise the pile of black dirt at the bottom of the gauge was once a part of it. This is one I found fallen off but still had it shape and I stuck it to the side of the instruments to try save it but even then its shedding parts of itself and will eventually turn to dust. Your replacement is far better. The idea was that the shield was a block design to hang over the odometer to shade it is let down by the materials they used, a flatter pad can work with experimentation as it has to be placed a bit closer to the odometer window to allow the right amount of light through which you seem to have done well. The illumination now is better, brighter, more evenly distributed with less heat than it ever was originally.

OdometerLightShield.jpg.52fd494198fdadcdbd76f4a662abbe1e.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 19/05/2017 at 18:40, colr6 said:

Quite impressed by these, going to have a look around to see if there is a replacement for the Smiths 2" gauge bulb holder. Even the new Lucas ones are of shite quality

Bought 2 new Smiths gauges to replace the old voltmeter and oil pressure gauges in my car. They arrived with standard bulbs, so I also ordered 2 green LEDs to try match the colour of my dash lights. 

Pics below show the standard light fitted and the silicone LEDs. The green LEDs give out a much better light than the standard, but the pics don't actually do the green cast full justice. 

Quite pleased with how they look, just got to fit them now. 

IMG_20190111_194635108.jpg

IMG_20190111_194710177.jpg

IMG_20190111_194802096.jpg

IMG_20190111_194939856.jpg

Screenshot_20190111-204656.png

You’ve got the later plastic holders which take the 501 bulb, my holders take the 6ba bulbs or the likes can’t remember the number off hand. The same holder is used for the smiths hexagon period warning light. The problem being the bulb continues to fall out or doesn’t give a constant circuit to illuminate. Just poor quality really. RP did do a conversion for these lights which is spot on, which I haven’t fitted yet as it means dash removal to do. Once I get my finger out to do it all the bulbs on the dash will be replaced with leds and the ones you’ve shown will be used on some of the dash lights 👍

You have to be careful with some of the silicone bulbs as their definition of green is a bit dubious. These were some I tried in a search for the best dash bulb and they were incredibly blue.

SiliconeBulbs.thumb.jpg.e3e8c332ca05c57908ea52109a1f1536.jpg

If you need some matching green bulbs Dale, Im happy to send you some if the ones that you bought arent quite as green as you need.

52 minutes ago, colr6 said:

You’ve got the later plastic holders which take the 501 bulb, my holders take the 6ba bulbs or the likes can’t remember the number off hand. The same holder is used for the smiths hexagon period warning light. The problem being the bulb continues to fall out or doesn’t give a constant circuit to illuminate. Just poor quality really. RP did do a conversion for these lights which is spot on, which I haven’t fitted yet as it means dash removal to do. Once I get my finger out to do it all the bulbs on the dash will be replaced with leds and the ones you’ve shown will be used on some of the dash lights 👍

Definitely made a big difference on mine. 

Also sent you the headreasts today, as I had a day off. Let me know if they're any good when they arrive. Prob Monday. 

16 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

You have to be careful with some of the silicone bulbs as their definition of green is a bit dubious. These were some I tried in a search for the best dash bulb and they were incredibly blue.

SiliconeBulbs.thumb.jpg.e3e8c332ca05c57908ea52109a1f1536.jpg

If you need some matching green bulbs Dale, Im happy to send you some if the ones that you bought arent quite as green as you need.

Thank you for the offer of the bulbs. 

I had them in my watching too, but opted for the others. Mostly because they looked like they would fit inside the tube on the gauge. 

I did try the short knurled bulb you gave me, which did fit. However, had a look on eBay for them, but couldn't find a match. 

However, the green on these silicone ones does look OK. Just got to fit them in the car to see how they match the dash. 

8 minutes ago, dt36 said:

Definitely made a big difference on mine. 

Also sent you the headreasts today, as I had a day off. Let me know if they're any good when they arrive. Prob Monday. 

Thank you for the offer of the bulbs. 

I had them in my watching too, but opted for the others. Mostly because they looked like they would fit inside the tube on the gauge. 

I did try the short knurled bulb you gave me, which did fit. However, had a look on eBay for them, but couldn't find a match. 

However, the green on these silicone ones does look OK. Just got to fit them in the car to see how they match the dash. 

Let me know how you go with them. I have a new type that will work in both the instruments and gauges like that and are all the one size so will fit with the odometer as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Let me know how you go with them. I have a new type that will work in both the instruments and gauges like that and are all the one size so will fit with the odometer as well.

OK, thank you. 

1 minute ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Out of curiosity, why the extra gauges when you have the same function in your RS dash?

They were already fitted to the car when I bought it. Voltmeter is a bit scabby and has a delay on it. Oil pressure gauge works fine, but is a different brand/colour. 

I've opted for Smiths Classic gauges, so they look the same and less modern. Also want to remove the outer carbon on the binnacle, but will keep the backplate  the same for now. Need to think on what to do with the backplate though. 

Screenshot_20190111-223521.png

Also sent you the headreasts today, as I had a day off. Let me know if they're any good when they arrive. Prob monday

cheers Dale, let you know as soon as 👍👍👍👍👍

New gauges fitted and vinyl removed. The green light is very close to the colour of the dash, so happy with that. 

However, what I thought was going to be an hour job turned out to be a lot longer, due to the rats nest of wires behind the Pod which needed some TLC. Mobile phone cradle is perfect for a Fluke. 

Now need to sort the clock out on the right hand side of the dash. The bulb holder wire is broken off, but I did manage to feed a single green LED into it and the colour looked OK when on my bench. Would need to buy a new holder though as I can't repair/wire this one.        My other thought is to possibly replace it with a Smiths Classic clock and fit that with a green LED to match the other Smiths gauges. Although this would look nice, is it really needed? 

Although my switch Pod is covered by the back plate, if anyone has a decent black Pod for sale, I'd be interested in buying as long as I don't need to take a Provident Loan out for it. 

Also got my eye on a GS Classic Fords back parcel shelf, as mine has a few speaker holes and grommets in it. Think I might order one up tomorrow. 

IMG_20190113_183425068.jpg

IMG_20190113_163006049.jpg

IMG_20190113_155240251.jpg

IMG_20190113_185016617.jpg

IMG_20190113_184341500.jpg

Screenshot_20190113-203450.png

I should have some of those holders Dale, will have a look tomorrow night. On a course all day

1 minute ago, colr6 said:

I should have some of those holders Dale, will have a look tomorrow night. On a course all day

Cheers Col. That would be great. 👍

Thanks for the bulbs holder Col. Perfect fit. 👍

Fitted a green LED to it earlier and rigged it up in the Pod for a quick check before we pop out for lunch.  Will wire it properly tonight. 

Again, the colour is more green than what the pics show and it's very close to the other clocks. That's the lot sorted now, happy days 😀

IMG_20190120_124354953.jpg

IMG_20190120_124752133.jpg

IMG_20190120_124314543.jpg

IMG_20190120_124835612.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Dale what did you do with blue lens within the clock itself? Did you just leave it in an slot the bulb in behind it?

I didn't open the clock at all. Just fitted the new bulb holder Col gave me with a green LED. 

If I'm honest, I didn't even consider there being a blue lens inside. 

Screenshot_20190120-145143.png

Yes there is one in there and its really integrated into the clocks structure and I wouldn't recommend removing it. You can see tabs of it on either side of the bulb holder. (Picture Below) It hasn't appeared to taint the colour that much even though you have left it installed which is good.

ClockLED7s.thumb.jpg.28e18ec9a013b6b171e78a02a8b03c7a.jpg

After opening the clock up which is no easy job it itself because the front ring is pressed on rather than screwed on, I decide to put two smaller green T5 bulbs on either side behind the dial. This alleviated the concentration of light up top like you get with the original single bulb arrangement. It order to get the power from the bulb holder and slot it back in again I had to coil the lead wire in.

ClockLED6s.jpg.56ea997143d8cdb44b1553b81397e3c6.jpg

While the effect was successful and quite pleasing its not for the feint of heart to take the clock apart. I had motivation to remove the glass as it had gotten a fair amount of dust on the underside and I wanted to clean that off so one thing led to another in installing the LEDS.

ClockLED3s.jpg.c212500cab9e60f04a2c73d324b473a3.jpg

It was all academic in the end as I didnt end up going with that clock pod and used the original vinyl fascia instead.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, katana said:

https://www.oldskoolford.co.uk/ipb/uploads/monthly_2019_01/IMG_20190120_124835612.thumb.jpg.2e3ad7843cdb4aa27abc77e4d54df70c.jpg

Personally the small gauges are a bit too bright and take focus away from the main gauges - may prove a distraction?

They are more green in real life, Katana and don't look as bright. Honestly 😂

Compared to how bad they all were before, it is now a lot better. 

1 minute ago, dt36 said:

They are more green in real life, Katana and don't look as bright. Honestly 😂

Compared to how bad they all were before, it is now a lot better. 

Before you bolt it all in permanently would you possibly consider trying a combination with a new bulb I have found?

1 minute ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Before you bolt it all in permanently would you possibly consider trying a combination with a new bulb I have found?

Yes sure. It doesn't take long to get at it all anyway. 👍

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, dt36 said:

Yes sure. It doesn't take long to get at it all anyway. 👍

Thats not to suggest they will be better than what you already have. So it may prove a waste but I dont have any axillary gauges to practise on lol But I think you may like the new main Instrument bulbs I have found

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Thats not to suggest they will be better than what you already have. So it may prove a waste but I dont have any axillary gauges to practise on lol But I think you may like the new main Instrument bulbs I have found

PM me your address and I'll send you my old Voltmeter. 

1 hour ago, dt36 said:

PM me your address and I'll send you my old Voltmeter. 

Thanks, funny you should say that I just got one for my Birthday with some extra interchangeable probes and alligator clips. Im surprised to get something I really needed. No one here at home would know what a Voltmeter was so I suspect they took the crappy old one I bought for a few quid and asked for a better one! LOL To be fair they also bought the fanciest one in the shop but it didn't work go figure so exchanged it for the cheaper Stanley one below that works really well.

Bulbs1c.thumb.jpg.052d1ce14d54144e9d5a79826ce6a0d8.jpg

One thing that came about in the past couple of weeks with all my bulb testing was that I needed to create a new power pack. I had an open skeleton type one with 9 volt connectors that I attached alligator clips to. I casually popped it on the bed for some reason and a few hours later I could smell burning through the house. Somehow the clips touched and it melted out the battery holder which had bonded to the bed blanket. ( I have heard "We are lucky to be alive" and "You can still smell burning in that room you know" every day for the past two weeks). Anyways I created a new enclosed 12 volt pack with clips off the old one that now has an on/off switch so I can continue to happily test my bulbs without burning the house down.

Bulbs1d.jpg.31a50fa3a92d41b3a3dbd9b8f9a05763.jpg

Bulbs1e.jpg.9ca290877f07ab747c088f862306e5f3.jpg

Anyways back to bulbs

I have found a amazing little bulb with a enclosed design with an incredible 24 LEDS in it. It is so compact that we no longer need a shorter bulb but still has good reach into the instruments. Astonishingly it only used 1.7 volts, less than half of original so less heat and stress on the boards. I sent some to a couple of the guys as gifts so maybe you could try them as well and tell the thread your results. You should find them just a tad brighter than my first selection but overall the results are similar but without the need for long open LED bulbs with a shorter one to clear the odometer. They aren't widely available and I cant seem to buy them in great numbers but I have a few extra sets for other members interested if everyone is happy with the results.

Bulbs1a.thumb.jpg.8c0332dd1ab2d29f2909c3d129022cf6.jpg

For your two auxiliary gauges I will send a couple of weird looking ones. I got them with a batch of bulb holders actually when we were trying to find alternatives to the loose Mk2 Instrument bulb holders you were searching for. I found them too dim to give decent illumination on the dash itself but on single gauges I think it may balance out the brightness between the brighter but larger area of the main gauge bulbs but with a lower brightness and lower area of the auxiliary gauges. (That's the theory at least, im using you as a guinea pig LOL) they have a deep matching original green of main instrument bulbs (new and old type) so you wont get a bluish green light that some of the silicone bulbs emit. The flat design should also give you a very wide spread behind the gauge providing they don't have any unanticipated light obstructions.

Bulbs1b.thumb.jpg.a899b0020da5a0e97d812e5a11c11daa.jpg

Bulbs1f.jpg.7db71c00317d2199a62861769917dc3f.jpg

Bulbs1g.jpg.19664a56235e35b9aa272273f96bcbeb.jpg

Please tell me what you think after you have tried them.

• Like 1