Jump to content
Rally Pack 2000

Using Vernier Pulley with Standard Pinto Camshaft.

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, dt36 said:

I have a crank pulley and Aux Pulley from him. 

Crank pulley had to be reamed to get it to fit. It also needed a fair bit of balancing too. 

Aux Pulley now seems decent, but the issue I had with that and the customer service was that he sent me a YB pulley 3 times in a row. No apology and I had to pay each time to return the wrong pulley before he would even consider sending me the wrong one out again. I asked for a full refund and made it clear that I no longer wanted a pulley from him. He then sent me the correct pulley out. 

The way he spoke to me on the phone was out of order and I'm only glad I never had to speak with him face to face, as my temper had risen hotter than Demi Lovato's spoon. 

IMG_20180223_115719064.jpg

 

5 hours ago, colr6 said:

I've had 4 turbosport items, 3 OK one shit. Not had to deal with direct so can't comment on customer service. The problem one was a lower crank pulley for the XE, the drilled holes slightly out of line. But that was easily cured.

Hmmmm this isn't good really. I remember trying to get something from him a couple of years back and he stuffed me around so long that I gave up in the end and it sounds like things haven't improved since then.

Both had crank pulley problems so I wonder is there is something inherent in that? Do you both get his alloy one or his steal one? Were they smaller diameter than original?

I think I may well be asking for trouble if he tries to sent me the wrong thing given the costs and time to send it back. He claims to have silver versions of his pulley and I wouldn't be surprised if a red or blue one ended up on my doorstep instead. Your posts have me a bit worried now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My crank pulley is a smaller diameter than the original. I think it's alloy pulley with a steel tooth ring. Original belt still fitted though, just.

Aux is alloy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dt36 said:

My crank pulley is a smaller diameter than the original. I think it's alloy pulley with a steel tooth ring. Original belt still fitted though, just.

Aux is alloy. 

I just got a message from him a few mins ago. First he said he had silver ones but now it seems he has to make it up and see how it turns out. Im not sure if the colour anodising adds to its wear resistance if its just made up as bare silver. Did you have to balance the aux pulley? I would just be using a regular crank pulley with fanbelt. I may give that a miss at this point though based on your experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

I just got a message from him a few mins ago. First he said he had silver ones but now it seems he has to make it up and see how it turns out. Im not sure if the colour anodising adds to its wear resistance if its just made up as bare silver. Did you have to balance the aux pulley? I would just be using a regular crank pulley with fanbelt. I may give that a miss at this point though based on your experience.

No, didn't balance the Aux Pulley. 

If I'm honest, it actually seems to be ok. My issue with that was more the way I got treated by him when he kept sending the wrong part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dt36 said:

No, didn't balance the Aux Pulley. 

If I'm honest, it actually seems to be ok. My issue with that was more the way I got treated by him when he kept sending the wrong part. 

There certainly was something more than just oversight behind him repeatedly sending the wrong part. Once should have been enough for most so it does suggest some kind of malicious intent there. That does worry me a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

There certainly was something more than just oversight behind him repeatedly sending the wrong part. Once should have been enough for most so it does suggest some kind of malicious intent there. That does worry me a bit.

Maybe get the parts sent to one of us first on the forum, to check them over before sending on to Oz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, dt36 said:

Maybe get the parts sent to one of us first on the forum, to check them over before sending on to Oz. 

That's probably wise but I hate imposing on people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

That's probably wise but I hate imposing on people.

You've done more than enough for others. I'll take them but I'll have to liase with you if they're wrong, so you can talk to him. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dt36 said:

You've done more than enough for others. I'll take them but I'll have to liase with you if they're wrong, so you can talk to him. :-)

That's a really kind offer. Its true though he probably doesn't ever want to speak with you again LOL

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Has anyone had much experience with the Turbosport pulleys? They look pretty good and have a built in scale. I just remember reading a few years back that there were issues with the alloy teeth being chewed out?

TurbosportPulley.jpg.ff9982a2e74cf6f8f73e1a821e7aa2af.jpg

stick to piper, kent or quaife! tried n tested! i wouldnt risk that turbosport shite on my engine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, RWL81P said:

stick to piper, kent or quaife! tried n tested! i wouldnt risk that turbosport shite on my engine!

I would consider them except they don't make a silver ones, only these modern looking fluro things that would look ridiculous on a 70s car. I do dread having to deal with Turbosport but he has the only one that said he has one in silver although now he seems to have backed off that and says he has to make it first. Its a frustrating situation when I had a perfectly good one that was ruined by clowns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want RP I can always order for you and try on a few pintos I've got here to ensure correct fitment and then send on to you no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, colr6 said:

If you want RP I can always order for you and try on a few pintos I've got here to ensure correct fitment and then send on to you no problem.

Thanks so much for that, greatly appreciated. I will see if he can produce this thing now and go from there. What he originally told me was in stock then turned into something he has to machine up so it may well be a false lead based on the experiences others have had with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew I'd find something somewhere in amongst all the crap!!

so the turbosport ones do fit!....lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Do you collect pulleys for Pintos Col? You have one of those original Kent steel ones as well! You must have been sitting on that for a while? I like the scaling on that Piper one. I haven't seen that design before, the Piper ones I have seen look like cheap 4 spoke wheels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH as to the looks of the pulleys I prefer the turbosport one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colr6 said:

TBH as to the looks of the pulleys I prefer the turbosport one.

Yes I agree, it does look ok. If I can get a silver one then I may well give that one a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a discussion a year or two back about the weight of the steel pulleys creating more wear being heavier than the original pulley over much lighter alloy ones. What was the outcome of that discussion, does anyone remember?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your getting into very fine tolerances of reciprocating mass there! Unlike a flywheel of poss 20kg and knocking 15kg off. The smaller the wheel diameter the lesser benefit the weight saving has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, colr6 said:

Your getting into very fine tolerances of reciprocating mass there! Unlike a flywheel of poss 20kg and knocking 15kg off. The smaller the wheel diameter the lesser benefit the weight saving has. 

Interesting! I just seem to remember mention of great cam bearing wear or something? So too you don't think there is a need too get these things re-balanced in time if some butcher happened to smack  it with a hammer and screwdriver? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have more chance of cam bearing wear with poor lubrication and heavy valve springs putting more stress on the bearings. A wobbly pulley will not help things, it would increase belt stresses and belt wear more than anything.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balancing these pulley's bit pointless as you balance it then install it and move the outer relative to the inner and its out of balance again - chances of being spot on with no changes is remote!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×