Utahsaint

Any clues what this is?

Hi all, first post as a new owner of a 73 mk1.

could anyone tell me what the heck this “button” on the dashboard is for?  It’s an aluminum twisty circle thing!

thx

C05A3B25-9781-4A63-9910-D4D73885AC48.jpeg

CF58A54E-8B0D-4FC7-A497-595264278B95.jpeg

830DC66C-0D6C-4C87-8928-9F3D1BBAC8A4.jpeg

Looks like a Brake Bias Adjuster. However, I would have thought it would be closer to the pedal box if it was. 

+1 for brake bias adjuster. Does look like an odd place to put it. Would expect to see it on the other side of the steering column.

Certainly a brake bias control knob, to confirm the cable from the rear of if goes to the pedal box. Unless your a orangutan its not much use there!!

14 hours ago, colr6 said:

Certainly a brake bias control knob, to confirm the cable from the rear of if goes to the pedal box. Unless your a orangutan its not much use there!!

Unless you have a passenger with a vicious sense of humour!

Thx all, now-then, a follow-up question, what does it do?  I understand it changed the brake bias, I'm assuming that means from front to rear?  Also, should this be done on the fly, whilst the car is moving?  Does it have much affect or is that dependent on the installation?

Again, thx for the replies and sorry to be so needy as a new member!

Your quite correct it alters front to rear, ideally you could do with a friendly MOT station with brake rollers and test on that to see what bias is where and then adjust to how you prefer on the road.

If its anything mine it does sod all, well tell a lie, it coils up when you turn it then wails round to where it started ! 

• Like 1

If you lock up and land in the field front on, you need a bit more Rear Bias. If you lock up and land in the field back roads, you need a bit more Front Bias. ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2