Ande Mkl Fiesta

catch tank fumes

i have a catch tank fitted on my 1300 and i have smoke coming from it which comes out from under the bonnet, the engine was rebuilt before i got it, is some smoke normal from the catch tank? It's very faint but noticable when the car is pulled up at the lights etc

My pinto does it now and again.i think it's normal given the PCV has been removed. If it's excessive then that's a different story.

First question, why into catch tank, is there a reason why the normal vac system can't be used ? If you have got to the stage of visibly seeing smoke or fumes coming from under the bonnet when vehicle is stood then the problems are far greater than a poor breathing system. A mist from a breather pipe is admissible but smoke / fumes to that degree is not.

^^^ I wanted to let someone else come to my thinking also! Some steam on cold start up is usual and a very light haze running and hot is normal ....... visible from under the bonnet whilst in the car isn't! It maybe due to fresh engine build but after a couple o' hundred miles should be gone!

I have a catch tank because my twin carb manifold doesn’t recycle the crank case fumes. Mine doesn’t billow out from under the bonnet but a visible mist from the breather on top of the tank 

I would consider doing a leak down test on each individual cylinder to see if you're getting any ring bypass. 

Additionally, try getting the engine to its running temp and remove the dipstick. Let us know if it's breathing heavy up the dipstick tube. 

Most catch tanks are just cheap boxes some don’t even have a breather filter.

the best ones have baffles in the tank separating the crankcase and rocker cover inputs and also have wire wool to catch the oil fog allowing it to separate out most of the oil befor venting any pressure via the breather filter to the atmosphere 

My 1600 crossflow smokes out the catch tank too. Not sure wether it’s a good thing or bad. Sure someone better clued up will tell us dreckly
The smoke is usually oil mist common on a crossflow with some higher compression the catch tank takes the mist back to oil and then drains back to sump hence some form of gauze in the catch tank I have built a custom catch tank near to the inlet manifold the idea that the fumes are taken in through the carb but at tick over some can be seen normal
My piston rings do seem to wear very quickly and only last 4000 miles on my crossflow seems running the 1300 pistons for higher compression puts extra wear on the standard rings.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, carlos77744 said:

My piston rings do seem to wear very quickly and only last 4000 miles on my crossflow seems running the 1300 pistons for higher compression puts extra wear on the standard rings.

Yikes!!!! I’ve done about 8000. Best I take a look at the engines insides this winter. 

Yikes!!!! I’ve done about 8000. Best I take a look at the engines insides this winter. 
I will pick up some forged pistons at some point never seems to wear the bore just the rings and then they break done them twice now I have altered the advance retard to see if that helps

I will pick up some forged pistons at some point never seems to wear the bore just the rings and then they break done them twice now I have altered the advance retard to see if that helps

Sounds like a ring compatibility issue rather than pistons - OEM supply would be good for 50+K miles. Rings don't know about difference in stroke and the CR increase isn't astronomical.