Lotus stripes

chinkamon

Hi all

So I'm looking to put some lotus style stripes on my mk1 Cortina but white, I wandered does anywhere sell them ready made? I bought white vinyl to make them  but failed miserably as the lines aren't actually straight but curved slightly an my shakey hands aren't up to it. A local shop could make some but it'd cost a fortune due to the length of vinyl 

So I was just going to get some white spray but thought I'd ask here first 

Just take your time masking up same when your painting it, you can get some good results with rattle cans especially if you lacquer over the top of it. Use a mild cutting compound to bring out the shine and smooth out any discrepancies or over spray. Your main question is what colour is going to best against your blue ?

Also make sure you cut back the area you are going to paint first with some very fine wet and dry, get a good key for the new paint going on top. I personally think the painting is the easy bit, make sure you put the time into the prep. and as Col has said above, give it a good few days to dry properly even a bit longer if you in no rush, then depending on the finish you have got, some very 2000 - 2500 grade wet and dry if there are any rough spots, but if not just compound, polish and when you happy with the finish, a good coat of wax.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 23/10/2018 at 20:30, dt36 said:

Pics or it's not finished. :-)

The blue lines at the rear look wonky in the photos but from the Back you can see they're shaped in the lines of the car 

A few reasons for the blue lines at the rear 

1, I didn't want 'those people' sneering it's not a lotus why try to pretend?

(I'm not trying to pretend hence the chrome trim, the colour, it's a 4 door, the non lotus touches) 

B, I wanted it a bit different than other white striped blue cortinas

3,the f***ing vinyl was nearly the death of me through stress and it WOULD NOT stick in those two areas ?

D, I couldn't afford to buy more and try again ???

So that's my excuses and I'm sticking to them ????

IMG_20181112_095449.jpg

IMG_20181112_095507.jpg

IMG_20181112_095523.jpg

IMG_20181112_095532.jpg