Sign in to follow this  
inthis2getha

New water pump noisy!!!

Hey guys,
I need some help here, I finally got the time to change the water pump on my 1972 mk3 Cortina, had a small leak, pretty sure it was just the gasket but brought a nice shiney new pump from Burton Power with gasket, also new thermostat and new alternator belts, fit it all yesterday evening, left it overnight, refilled coolant this evening and started it up to bleed and check for leaks etc. I now have a noise that almost sounds like the impeller is just catching inside! Can’t think of anything else that would be making the noise! If anyone has any similar experience with water pumps or can give me any advice it would be very much appreciated.
Engine is a 2 litre pinto out of a 1989 mk3 Granada none power steering, viscous fan removed.

Cheers,

Ant

E9F46E15-BAB4-497D-BDA9-054D2463F163.jpeg

Pull the belts off and spin the pulley by hand, you should be able to hear or feel if it's catching. Problably the normal cheap crap from burtons !

Was advised to use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, worked a treat, could tell right away it wasn’t the water pump....thankfully. So that just left the alternator fan, I definitely didn’t knock it and it wasn’t catching when turning the engine by hand, but I did notice one blade was slightly off to the rest...gave it a little bend and hey presto ? metal noise gone ? don’t know why it wasn’t making that noise with the old belts on but hey who can make sense of these things!
I did check the bolts on the pulley 1st to make sure they wasn’t fouling as the casing is slightly different on the new pump!
Thanks a lot for taking the time to give me advice, I really appreciate it,

Thanks,

Ant

• Like 1