Jump to content
Rally Pack 2000

Mk1 Fiesta - What are they like?

Recommended Posts

We never got Mk1 Fiestas here in Australia although we now have the current later Z-Tec ones. I just love the unique styling of them with their square headlights. So I always wondered what the Mk1s were like? How did they drive? Easy to maintain? Handling? Rust prone? I always really wanted to drive one just to see what a Kent engine was like in a front wheel drive car? It seems like an odd thing to me with over a decade of RWD Kent engined cars only. Are they zippy super minis or just mundane transport? I would love to hear of your experiences with them as I always wanted to know. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.3 is nippy and light, high revving with good handling to boot. like any old ford they are very straight forward to work on with many interchangeable parts

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vista said:

And just like Escorts, better looking with round headlights. #ControversialButFair ?

IMG_4984.jpg

I agree round headlights look good on Mk1 Fiestas but I actually like the square ones just as much. Having the indicators directly beneath them is kind of different and quirky. Rallye's gold one is equally as stunning as as the XR you have posted. With Escorts though round always wins out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 957 basic was exactly that!! Nowt fancy did its job ....town/ shopping car 1.1 a little bit quicker think the did this lowest version of the L in 1. Ghia version had all the bells and whistles 1.3 nice little town car but reasonably pleasant on longer runs. Super sport and the xr2 predominantly aimed at the boy racers, which they achieved. Super sport fairly nippy, won't say economical Because they were thrashed to death so mpg didn't come in to it !! Xr2 pocket rocket of its time really, handled well on 185/60/13 tyres. But was very good at wheel spinning and eating tyres.Noise levels quite good for longer runs unless they were janspeed equipped then a bit of a drone. As an investment you've got to go for the super sport or the xr2 Or if you want that plush look with a bit of ummph the ghia. All suffered with the normal Ford rot worm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Vista said:

And just like Escorts, better looking with round headlights. #ControversialButFair ?

IMG_4984.jpg

square look better, thats the main thing i didnt like about my xr2. although the dreaded pepperpants wheels had gone and replaced with 14' rs 7 spokes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome little bits of kit on  the back roads, handle well, fly well, land straight, buuuuut, can bend slightly at the screen base on heavy re-entry which also splits the exhaust down pipes.

 

Panda cars, driven faster than hire cars.?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just really really want to try one but have to live vicariously through you guys instead. Is the gearshift notchier being front wheel drive compared to a type E or type 2 in a rear wheel drive? Does it still feel like a Kent engine with it pointing the other way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iirc, gear change was slick, early base model brakes needed anticipation if you weren't wearing your Big Boys Pants, and faded quickly if left foot braking with the throttle pinned in 3rd (4spd box), and a Kent engine is a Kent engine whichever way it's facing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

I just really really want to try one but have to live vicariously through you guys instead. Is the gearshift notchier being front wheel drive compared to a type E or type 2 in a rear wheel drive? Does it still feel like a Kent engine with it pointing the other way?

Swap you for your orange Twin Cam. I will go out and buy one to ship over ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Vista said:

Swap you for your orange Twin Cam. I will go out and buy one to ship over ?

It would have to be one of the sportier versions? I wouldn't do a deal for a one litre popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Under three grand for what looks like a pretty good example. What an excellent entry to OSF

Fiesta1.thumb.jpg.7c23c31c5a53e2ff4836fdcbe4868438.jpg

Fiesta5.thumb.jpg.acd9dd32d397e6d1d947a51b022eea0c.jpg

Fiesta3.thumb.jpg.4cc152583aeac4820129f5e91219028a.jpg

Fiesta4.thumb.jpg.65e9ee3ccce048012ebb45a0eeefb5ec.jpg

Im surprised we don't have heaps of younger members with these joining up to the forum. Perhaps insurance is cost prohibitive there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that, quite minimalistic. The colour and stance looks spot on! When looking closer, one wouldn’t put such a wide profile seat in such a small car. Its obviously so dangerous to drive they don’t want you to get in it !! They’ve omitted the door handles....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

still dont think you can go wrong with a supersport. great little crossflow, no dreaded pepperpots, and the stripes and carla trim look great. also i prefer the square headlight over the xr2 round lights. these were even rare when they were 300 quid! and only came in 4 colours, black, white, sunburst red and stratos silver. 1531965788_classiccarshowthoresby08075.thumb.jpg.8ee662852ef1f5eadf4da2e1bac04de1.jpg1726896062_FordFiestaMk1SupersportYEV305X(129).JPG.2886821bae570c529a83737dc886fe5d.JPG1398720118_FordFiestaMk1SupersportYEV305X(112).JPG.fe58ee45ce5b5915328865c83c7ff3c3.JPGDSCF0545.jpg.3bb8e8380a62ee4d80de9016aaa690a8.jpg

classic carshow thoresby 08 073.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

A colourful beasty

mk1-fiesta-with-a-cosworth-v6.jpg.bdb846bd6d0977349b1fdb054fa81147.jpg

Yes that's a Cosworth V6. So I decided that is the Fiesta I want.

That car is based down my way and the Owner is a member of the forum and has had it on our stand a few times. I think he's migrated away to a more South West centric club though. It's very nicely done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colr6 said:

I like that, quite minimalistic. The colour and stance looks spot on! When looking closer, one wouldn’t put such a wide profile seat in such a small car. Its obviously so dangerous to drive they don’t want you to get in it !! They’ve omitted the door handles....lol

You know I was so taken with the rest of the car I hadn't notice it didn't have door handles. Not being able to get in it would be a deal breaker for me. I still want it though.

 

59 minutes ago, RWL81P said:

still dont think you can go wrong with a supersport. great little crossflow, no dreaded pepperpots, and the stripes and carla trim look great. also i prefer the square headlight over the xr2 round lights. these were even rare when they were 300 quid! and only came in 4 colours, black, white, sunburst red and stratos silver.

Yes Supersports are great. They would be one of the models I would seek out if I lived in the UK. If I ever see one for sale here Im going to seriously consider it, but wont have a choice what model it is as it would be one of a kind.  I too prefer the square headlights. It looks unique with them but with rounds they have similarities with Golfs and others. They still look good with rounds though.

 

4 minutes ago, Vista said:

That car is based down my way and the Owner is a member of the forum and has had it on our stand a few times. I think he's migrated away to a more South West centric club though. It's very nicely done.

It is an awesome car so naturally it had to be from one of our own forum members. Have you been in it? How does it go? How much horsepower does it have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rally Pack 2000 said:

You know I was so taken with the rest of the car I hadn't notice it didn't have door handles. Not being able to get in it would be a deal breaker for me. I still want it though.

 

Yes Supersports are great. They would be one of the models I would seek out if I lived in the UK. If I ever see one for sale here Im going to seriously consider it, but wont have a choice what model it is as it would be one of a kind.  I too prefer the square headlights. It looks unique with them but with rounds they have similarities with Golfs and others. They still look good with rounds though.

 

It is an awesome car so naturally it had to be from one of our own forum members. Have you been in it? How does it go? How much horsepower does it have?

I haven't been in it. It's a rwd conversion and I think is a standardish BOA Cosworth V6. Trying to find the Owner's profile now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vista said:

I haven't been in it. It's a rwd conversion and I think is a standardish BOA Cosworth V6. Trying to find the Owner's profile now.

Thanks. It has to be a beast even if its standard I would imagine. I haven't ever been big on arches on OSF but on Fiestas they really go well. As Col says it just gives them a stance that suits them alot. I also like the yellow one above with a rear spoiler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Thanks. It has to be a beast even if its standard I would imagine. I haven't ever been big on arches on OSF but on Fiestas they really go well. As Col says it just gives them a stance that suits them alot. I also like the yellow one above with a rear spoiler.

His username is CrazyCharlie, more pics of it in this thread.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Vista said:

His username is CrazyCharlie, more pics of it in this thread.

 

 

 

Thanks for that. I saved some of the pics for myself as those on that thread are stored with photobucket as they could vanish at any moment!

I was surprised to see the bonnet down with the corner of the lights covered by it. Its like its giving you the angry death stare. How unique! I also wasn't expecting those wheels either now that you can see them a bit more. The back end is a little sparse though and really needs a bit of something added. It also needs a passenger door handle as it appears he has only put on on the drivers side. LOL If you read some of his other posts it does 13.2 down the quarter so its definitely quick. I hope he pops in sometime and tells us more about how it goes and handles. I don't mind the American grill either. Great car and credit to him.

 

FiestaCosworth1.jpg.b631659ee57df3833f40f080646fcf61.jpg

FiestaCosworth2.jpg.7d5252cf2f6ae35da1b0c67038a04f6b.jpg

FiestaCosworth4.jpg.988b229f53c73dc1b54e985649d44734.jpg

FiestaCosworth6.jpg.2b34f9daa026f276b281e8d7af69fb40.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would imagine with that 2.9 v6 it sits in the audi lane quite a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...