Sign in to follow this  
mark reed ford

Brake probleme

Hi guys, I fitted a new rear near side brake cylinder and I can't get the air out of the system, I have bled the brakes four times with someone in the car and three times with a vacuum pump with the same result, very little hydraulic oil comes out. I was told a common fault is the flexible hose collapsing inside, I changed this but the problem remains, the front bled as it should.

I can't see any damage to the pipework and it was fine other than a wet cylinder before I changed it, any ideas?         

post-6571-0-05794000-1394828806.jpg

Edited by mark reed ford
spelling mistake

You must have a restriction somewhere, as it's a single circuit system and you say your getting good fluid flow to the fronts? To itemise start at the 4 way Union on front inner wing and work your way backwards at availiable joints in the pipework. You should get a good spurt of fluid from each joint, if you don't then you've found your restriction. First thing yo check is the bleed nipple is clear.

2 minutes ago, mark reed ford said:

Thanks I'll take a look, its just strange, I had no problem before I changed the cylinder.

Who's to say the rears were working properly before ?

The brakes worked fine they always stopped very well, now all what happens is after pressing the peddle a few times it goes to the floor, it always had a solid peddle, like I said it was just leaking fluid.

Yes, but the fluid comes out very slowly, I'm going to change the axle pipe, that connects both brake cylinders, like what was suggested it must be blocked somewhere, I think the first thing will be to remove the fitting on the drivers side and put a bleed nipple in to see if it bleeds ok, I should get an indication of where its blocked, hopefully its at the rear or I'll need to change the long length from the block connector on the bulkhead to the flexi pipe on the axle, the joys of classic cars, love it though.