Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RWL81P

RETRO WHEELS

Recommended Posts

after the conversation with Carey about our 14" pirelli 4 spokes, and the pic he sent of the finished wheels looked fantastic. i came across these 2.8i pepperpots on ebay last night and thought we should have a new topic of retro wheels. not modern new ones that turn up nice n shiney, im talking wheels that you guys have refurbed. steels, alloys, wooden wheels if you cars old enough. these are the 2.8 pepperpots. s-l1600.thumb.jpg.0be24bf9ce64e716ce9465dea9b170c0.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a set of Revolutions I have for my Mk1. Found them for a good price on ebay then refurbed them in my breaks at work. They were in OK condition when I got them but look better now. First time I've refurbed a set so quite happy with them.
Here's the before and after.
As%20bought.jpeg20180816_131202.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These where absolutely knackered before I sent them off to my guy, I actually thought they not going to be possible to do! 

6.5x13 which is a nice width 

4FCD70ED-C7D2-43FB-976A-F7CA8A6F188D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the best image i have but it took me ages to get it on here and cant face trying again lol.

Set of 4 rough but perfectly round mexico steelies.

Shot blasted then painted stardust silver. Then masked up and the black inserts painted. Then laquered.

Took about 3 hrs per wheel.

20180131_172308.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pirelli 14 inch 4 spokes 

 

8C4E8AA8-7894-4F30-BC54-C76AF81274D3.jpeg

 

Mk1 RS 4 spokes with dove grey insert

0E596A91-4E54-4B48-BC08-3F4167DE621F.jpeg

I know there not ford but retro! Rover SD1 

B4611633-F30F-4F0A-AD48-C82F95865A13.jpeg

BBS RS that where on my golf GTI

7EED510F-0592-4B3A-8347-D8452C3D1B32.jpeg

ATS golf rims 

9716DD05-E8CB-4893-9A75-CE80BEBF0CC0.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notenoughtime said:

My mk1 rs2000 wheels 

 

B5473BE2-CEE5-49CE-8592-B22345607349.jpeg

your like a doris with shoes! some cracking wheels though

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Wheels2.thumb.jpg.5912688fa89358da62c316b0d2360652.jpg

Wheelset3s.thumb.jpg.1b8747541ca3c1c934fe0c30cea01bce.jpg

theyre like the ones i had on my mex when i bought it, spent 3 month sanding and polishing by hand and my fingers were bleeding. i'll see if i can find a pic of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RWL81P said:

theyre like the ones i had on my mex when i bought it, spent 3 month sanding and polishing by hand and my fingers were bleeding. i'll see if i can find a pic of them.

I lost the feeling in the tips of my fingers using steel wool and paint stripper trying to get the dodgy powder coating off. Took me weeks as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I lost the feeling in the tips of my fingers using steel wool and paint stripper trying to get the dodgy powder coating off. Took me weeks as well.
Did mine by hand too. Finished the rims with 1200 grit but could have gone up to 2000 then polish them but I was bored with it by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HotRodMatt said:
5 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:
I lost the feeling in the tips of my fingers using steel wool and paint stripper trying to get the dodgy powder coating off. Took me weeks as well.

Did mine by hand too. Finished the rims with 1200 grit but could have gone up to 2000 then polish them but I was bored with it by then.

Ah yes the novelty wears off after the first week doesn't it? Loosing all my finger prints put criminal thoughts in my mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Ah yes the novelty wears off after the first week doesn't it? Loosing all my finger prints put criminal thoughts in my mind

 

10 minutes ago, HotRodMatt said:
14 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:
I lost the feeling in the tips of my fingers using steel wool and paint stripper trying to get the dodgy powder coating off. Took me weeks as well.

Did mine by hand too. Finished the rims with 1200 grit but could have gone up to 2000 then polish them but I was bored with it by then.

I done the ones on my mk1 cortina many years ago by hand! Never again that’s why I send them to my refurbisher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i stopped at 1200 too! you could tell i was bored, the first wheel was pretty good, then each wheel got a bit less attention.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rich T said:

Not the best image i have but it took me ages to get it on here and cant face trying again lol.

Set of 4 rough but perfectly round mexico steelies.

Shot blasted then painted stardust silver. Then masked up and the black inserts painted. Then laquered.

Took about 3 hrs per wheel.

20180131_172308.jpg

good old dartboards! got a set of those too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, notenoughtime said:

Me to lol 

do you have something of a wheel fetish? how many sets you got?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, notenoughtime said:

 

I done the ones on my mk1 cortina many years ago by hand! Never again that’s why I send them to my refurbisher

Im done too after the Lasers above. Marcel has a set of Mk1 wheels on the way to me and im going to save for a professional this time. Your guy has skills though. I cant get that level of quality here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HotRodMatt said:

Here's a set of Revolutions I have for my Mk1. Found them for a good price on ebay then refurbed them in my breaks at work. They were in OK condition when I got them but look better now. First time I've refurbed a set so quite happy with them.
Here's the before and after.
As%20bought.jpeg20180816_131202.jpeg

I've got 5 spoke Revo's on both my Cortina's, I reckon they suit them well, 13's too small, 15's too big, a bit hard to find now though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've got 5 spoke Revo's on both my Cortina's, I reckon they suit them well, 13's too small, 15's too big, a bit hard to find now though....
I've always liked them, just don't see them on Escorts. Mine are 6x15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HotRodMatt said:
7 minutes ago, deltamal said:
I've got 5 spoke Revo's on both my Cortina's, I reckon they suit them well, 13's too small, 15's too big, a bit hard to find now though....

I've always liked them, just don't see them on Escorts. Mine are 6x15.

15s look good on an arched mk1. remember a green mk1 with them on years ago, if i remember right it was cossie 4wd, and back in the 90s.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta love dartboards. I know for a set that have been banded to 6j and they look great. Been trying for years to blag them but no luck. They look great on any ford when in good condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RWL81P said:

do you have something of a wheel fetish? how many sets you got?

Rover rostyles

mk1 RS 4 Spokes 

mk2 RS 4 spokes 6x13

RS 4 Spokes 7.5x13

Mag minilites 6x13

Ford sports 5.5x13

m3 19in staggered 

so not many lol

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×