Sign in to follow this  
mark reed ford

Distrobutor identification

Hi guys, I bought a distributor for my 1600E but the numbers don't match the book for my car, its an Autolite 72BB LA 1JC, I've looked at various information but can't identify what this one fits, any idea.

thanks, Mark.

I would of thought a 72BB number on a Dizzi would have been a MOTORCRAFT item and not AUTOLITE, pretty sure Autolite pre dated Motorcraft.

Both the Autolite & Motorcraft, suffered rapid wear of the shaft bushes, making timing variation at various speeds, and was a bugger to set up with a strobe due to the wear.

Bosch distributors where a lot more wear resistant, but the red cap is a giveaway under the bonnet.

If you get in touch with H & H Distributors, they will either repair/re-calibrate your distributor, to the correct specs or supply you with an item of your choice, I have used them several times, and there products are very-very good.

Regards.

Al.

That explains why its not in my book, it was advertised for the MK2 Cortina 1600 GT engine, mine has a Bosch electronic distributor from a MK1 XR2, the guy I bought it off fitted it, he was a mechanic, I just wanted the car to have an original set up. (in hindsight might be better left alone if they wear so quickly) Thanks for the info it was appreciated.