Delbert

Water Temperature Sender

Just fitted a New Racetech 52mm Water Temperature Gauge to replace an unbranded one that was fitted, but i forgot to change the sender hence new gauge is not reading correctly, have seen this one for sale really cheap compaired to the ones that are advertised as suitable only for the Racetech gauge, and stating that its universal and covers the temperture range of my new gauge see here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8-NPT-Sensor-Unit-Oil-Water-Temperature-Temp-0-C-to-150-Sender-Electric-Gauge/122741428622  was wondering if anyone has fitted one of these universal senders and if they are any good in giving the correct reading of the gauge, or whether its simply a case of buying one dedicated to this gauge. 

At 3.59 you haven't much to lose by trying it to see. How much is the racetech one?

5 hours ago, Vista said:

At 3.59 you haven't much to lose by trying it to see. How much is the racetech one?

I think the Racetech one that I've seen advertised is around £16 Mark so quite a bit of difference hence this topic 

Up to you, do you want to gamble to save £12?

Well the gamble didnt pay off so not much expense lost.  I've found out that the Gauge i have is the old Spanish made one, newer ones are made by an american company, which use 1/8 npt thread on sender, and seems you can get hold of these very easy such as Burton, Demon tweaks. Whereas the older gauge uses a 5/8 unf thread on sender and are only available from racetech, but are much cheaper than the £16 mark i quoted. So I have purchased along with an inline top rad hose adaptor, so should be all sorted and reading correctly very soon. 

The only thing that worries me about having to use one of these adaptors, rather that it fit into the cylinder head as per norm is (if i'm thinking correctly) if the thermostat were to fail to open when it should, would the gauge show in the red zone ( danger zone ) to alert a potential overheating before any boil over occurred?  As it's now fitted on the cool side of the system, unless I'm thinking wrongly?

You are right, the sender should be block side of the thermostat. Where it is you won't get a reading until the thermostat opens - not ideal

Paul

6 hours ago, Paul RS said:

You are right, the sender should be block side of the thermostat. Where it is you won't get a reading until the thermostat opens - not ideal

Paul

Agreed. I think those rad hose adaptors are really meant for switches to control the rad fan rather than for temperature gauges. 

I have this set up. No problems.sometimes you need to earth the sender otherwise you get odd readings on the gauge.

I fitted a 74 degree mini thermostat with 2mm removed off the diameter to fit. Drilled a small hole in the thermostat as well. 

19 hours ago, preacherman said:

I fitted a 74 degree mini thermostat with 2mm removed off the diameter to fit. Drilled a small hole in the thermostat as well. 

I have the same set up 74 degree mini thermostat plus fan switch with 85 degree on and off at 80 degrees, fitted to a custom made thomstat and switch housing as shown,  works fine never had an issue even on very hot days that we experianced in summer 2018.

may need to zoom in a bit on photo to get a better view 

DSCF2931.JPG